WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor
PT NBE Less Than 20 Hours
2 days agoRequisition ID: 1675
The WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor is a paraprofessional support person who provides basic breastfeeding information and encouragement to WIC pregnant and breastfeeding mothers. Position is 10 hours per week with some flexibilty based on business needs.
• Attends breastfeeding training classes to become a Peer Counselor.
• Signs and follows FNS Loving Support© WIC Peer Counselor scope of practice.
• Receives/maintains a caseload of WIC mothers and makes routine periodic contacts with all mothers assigned.
• Provides basic breastfeeding information and support to new mothers, including advising them about the benefits of breastfeeding, overcoming common barriers, getting a good start with breastfeeding and helps mothers prevent and handle common breastfeeding concerns.
• Counsels WIC pregnant and breastfeeding mothers by telephone or in person at the WIC office.
• Works outside the WIC office and during the usual 8 to 5 office hours and to assist new mothers who are having breastfeeding problems.
• Respects each mother by keeping her information strictly confidential.
• Keeps accurate records of all contacts made with WIC mothers in WIC computer system (Eos).
• Refers mothers as appropriate to: WIC nutritionist or breastfeeding coordinator, Lactation Consultant, Mother’s physician or nurse, public health programs in the community and social service agencies as needed.
• Teaches breastfeeding classes for pregnant and postpartum mothers, and leads breastfeeding support groups.
• Attends monthly staff meetings and breastfeeding conferences/workshops as appropriate.
• Reads assigned books and materials on breastfeeding that are provided by the supervisor.
Required/Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
• High School Diploma/GED
• Experience breastfeeding at least one baby, current or previous WIC participant preferred
• Is enthusiastic about breastfeeding and wants to help other mothers enjoy a positive experience
• Good customer service skills, relating to persons of diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds, and communicating in a professional, courteous, and tactful manner.
• Ability to remain calm and exercise judgment in unusual or stressful situations.
• Bilingual English/Spanish required.
Harbor Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D.