Vaccine Team - Medical Interpreter
YesterdayRequisition ID: 1541
The Vaccine Team Medical Interpreter provides interpretation for patients and staff and supports the operations of the Vaccination Program at Harbor Health Services, in the consecutive, simultaneous, and sight translation modes, facilitating successful delivery of services to linguistically diverse consumers. This is a Per Diem (on call, as needed) position.
- Provides interpretation between parties using target languages in accordance with Interpreter Code of Conduct and Ethics around COVID Vaccination pre-screening and medical history.
- Provides Vaccine administration and registration support and interpreting to Provider any patient concerns post-vaccine and during observation period.
- Ensures that the language of the patient is interpreted to the provider or other internal/external individuals as stated providing explanations as necessary and vice versa.
- Provides explanation of colloquialisms and/or issues of cultural competence that may impact Vaccine visit as requested by provider or patient.
- Explains health center resources, office protocols, and limitations to clinicians and patients.
- As required, writes letters/notes for patients, providers and vendors in target language.
- Serves as a cultural and linguistic resource to both patients and providers to contribute to successful outcomes.
- Seeks clarification on issues to ensure interpretation is correct.
- Adheres to interpreter schedule and arrives for scheduled appointments in a timely manner.
Required/Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Medical Interpreter Certification with a minimum 40 hours of interpreting training with an oral and written testing component required.
- Proven oral and written fluency in English as well as the target language
- Proven knowledge of medical terminology (Tele Language Inc. assessment)
- Proven Customer Service Skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team and in collaboration with other health professionals
- Ability to appropriately prioritize
- Basic skills in Microsoft applications: Word, Excel and Outlook
- Working knowledge of Medical Interpreter Standards of Practice, including medical interpreter ethics and code of conduct along with issues of cultural competence
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- One year of experience as a Medical Interpreter preferred
- Working knowledge of electronic health records and practice management systems preferred
Harbor Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D.