At Central Maine Healthcare our team members are committed to providing exceptional care and experiences for our community and for each other every day.
Position Summary: The RN, Triage is responsible and accountable for the delivery of patient care in the physician office setting, utilizing the Nursing Process, taking into account the biophysical, psychosocial, environment, self-care educational needs of the patient, family and/or significant other(s). Demonstrates outstanding customer service skills on behalf of Central Maine Medical Group (CMMG). The RN, Triage practices in accordance with CMMG’s Clinical Policies and Procedures, and operates within the Maine Nurse Practice Act. The RN, Triage acts as the patient’s advocate, manages supplies, equipment, and sophisticated instrumentation, promotes teamwork with staff, physicians, and personnel in other departments and supports the values of CMMG. Provides direct and indirect patient care in the practice. Provides care that reflects initiative, flexibility and responsibility indicative of professional expectation with a minimum of supervision. Determines priorities of care based on physical and psychosocial needs, as well as factors influencing patient flow through the system. Communicates with the providers about changes in patient's status, symptomatology and results of diagnostic studies. Is able to respond quickly and accurately to changes in condition or response to treatment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Demonstrates Competency in the Following Areas:
1. Provides direct patient care, evaluates outcomes, consults with the providers as required and adjusts nursing care processes as indicated to ensure optimal patient care.
2. Provides efficient, timely, and thorough assessment of patient needs based upon their initial telephone contact with practice.
3. Performs a head-to-toe assessment on all patients and reassessments as per policy. This may include pediatric, adolescent and geriatric patients and the general patient population.
4. Uses listening and communication skills to establish rapport with the patient and illicit a full history upon which to base an assessment.
5. Documents in a timely and consistent manner to communicate plans and outcomes.
6. Identifies problematic calls for later discussion and analysis.
7. Identifies triage trends in such areas as chief complaint presentation.
8. Participates in Quality Assurance analysis and trouble-shooting of clinical processes to enhance teamwork and positive patient outcomes.
9. Uses flags and or written messages to ensure communication among co-workers.
10. Uses established protocols to determine a safe and appropriate disposition for the patient.
11. Demonstrates ability to adequately assess and reassess pain. Utilizes appropriate pain management techniques. Educates the patient and family regarding pain management.
12. Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
13. Demonstrates knowledge and ability to perform of office diagnostic testing as ordered
14. Answers telephone calls in a professional manner; refers patient problems to the providers as indicated; schedules patient appointments.
15. Maintains accurate and continued nursing documentation including patient histories, conditions, treatments, responses and assessment of changes.
16. Treats patients and their families with respect and dignity. Identifies and addresses psychosocial, cultural, ethnic and religious/spiritual needs of patients and family. Functions as liaison between administration, patients, physicians and other healthcare providers.
17. Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and the skills necessary to provide age appropriate care to the patients served. Able to interpret data about the patient’s status in order to identify each patient’s age specific needs and provide care needed by the patient group.
18. Interacts professionally with patient and family and involves patient and family in the formation of the plan of care.
19. Demonstrates knowledge of emergency procedures.
20. Formulates a teaching plan based on identified learning needs and evaluates effectiveness of learning; includes family in teaching, as appropriate.
21. Maintains current knowledge of medications/vaccinations and their correct administration based on age of the patient and his/her clinical condition.
22. Follows the five medication rights and reduces the potential for medication errors.
23. Demonstrates knowledge of lab, x-ray, and other testing requirements, requisitions.
24. Follows established CMMG policies and procedures, objectives, performance improvement program, safety, environmental and infection control standards.
25. Maintains a safe, comfortable and therapeutic environment for patients and families in accordance with practice standards.
26. Ensures an adequate stock of supplies and proper functioning of equipment.
27. Assists in cost containment through appropriate ordering and conserving of supplies and equipment.
28. Cooperates with other personnel to achieve organizational objectives, maintain good employee relations.
29. Demonstrates knowledge of healthcare plans, procedural costs.
30. Maintains a good working relationship with all staff members within the organization.
31. Demonstrates the ability to be flexible, organized and function under stressful situations.
32. Communicates appropriately and clearly to coworkers and providers.
33. Demonstrates the ability to assist providers with procedures and perform services requiring technical and manual skills.
34. Demonstrates the ability to perform treatments and provide services to level of licensure.
35. Ensures medical and surgical asepsis is carried out during treatment and special procedures
36. Maintains infection control standards for exam/procedure rooms, cleans, disinfects etc.
37. Maintains office instruments: knowledge of sterilization techniques and biological indicators for sterilization.
38. Meets current documentation standards and policies.
39. Maintains a good working relationship with all staff members within the organization.
40. Demonstrates the ability to be flexible, organized, and function under stressful situations.
41. Responds appropriately to the patient in an emergency or physically distressful situation.
42. Manages and operates equipment safely and correctly.
43. Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, current literature, in-service meetings and workshops; shows responsibility for own professional practice and ongoing education.
44. Follows proper procedures related to medico legal matters, including confidentiality, amendments of medical records, patients rights, medial records as legal evidence, informed consent and release of information.
45. Follow-up, such as test results, with the patients as indicated by provider or protocol.
46. Triaging the patient’s ills, consulting with the provider, and facilitates the appropriate therapy. Documents all conversations and follow-up.
47. Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
48. Customer Service: Interacts with all individuals in a consistent manner, providing attention, support, and assistance to foster an environment of exceptional personal service.
a. Maintains a pleasant and helpful demeanor, and presents a professional appearance toward all internal and external customers at all times.
b. Consistently initiates interaction to provide assistance to individuals who may not be direct customers of the employee (i.e. asks patients who appear to be lost if they need assistance in finding their way).
c. Takes appropriate action to recover from a service difficulty, ensuring that the necessary action is taken to affect a resolution to the customer’s problem.
d. Conducts all work activities with respect for coworkers, including the maintenance of a pleasant and professional environment, fostering calmness during stressful situations.
e. Interacts with supervisory personnel in a professional, supportive and courteous manner, venting emotions appropriate to time and place.
f. Demonstrates a commitment to service by consistent attendance and punctuality, scheduling absences according to departmental requirements, and incurring unplanned absences only when unavoidable circumstances exist.
49. Meets dress code standards, appearance is neat and clean.
50. Excellent attendance record.
51. Wears identification while on duty; uses computerized punch time system correctly.
52. Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner in the community.
53. Completes annual educational requirements.
54. Attends annual review and departmental in-services.
55. Attends a minimum of 9 staff meetings annually; reads and returns monthly staff meeting minutes.
56. Participates in the department's performance improvement (PI) activities.
57. Complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
58. Confidentiality: Maintains confidentiality of information at all times.
a. Consistently maintains confidentiality of all information gained during the course of employment, respecting the privacy of others.
b. Understands and maintains the confidentiality of information communicated directly from the supervisor, including discussions of a counseling nature.
c. Follows policies and procedures related to medico legal matters, including confidentiality, amendments of medical records, patient rights, medical records as legal evidence and informed consent
d. Copies records according to policy, assuring the appropriateness of the individual requesting information from the record prior to copying, faxing, or phoning any portion of the record.
59. Safety: Demonstrates an understanding of fire and electrical safety, infection control, body mechanics, and related areas, as appropriate to position.
a. Attends mandatory in-services on fire safety, electrical safety, infection control, and body mechanics. Successfully completes competency-based training in each area.
b. Follows all employee health procedures, incident reporting, and infection control requirements at all times, as appropriate to the position.
c. Uses proper body mechanics at all times as required by the physical demands of the position.
d. Maintains a safe work environment and performs duties of the position in a manner consistent with ensuring the safety of self and others.
e. Identifies safety needs in areas outside own work environment, recommending corrective action as appropriate.
60. Expense Control: Performs job duties in a manner that maximizes expense control.
a. Uses supplies, equipment, and utilities in an expeditious manner
b. Consistently recommends methods to control costs while maintaining a high degree of customer service.
c. Performs job tasks efficiently and effectively resulting in no unplanned overtime.
• Graduate of an accredited school of nursing with up to six (6) months Registered Nurse experience.
• Current RN license within the state of practice.
• Current American Heart Association Healthcare Provider BLS Certification required.
• IV Certification preferred
• Ability to read and communicate effectively in English.
• Additional languages preferred.
• Basic computer knowledge.
• For physical demands of position, including vision, hearing, repetitive motion and environment, see following description.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position without compromising client care.
If you are passionate about making a difference and are looking for your next great career opportunity, we look forward to reviewing your application!
Posted 2 Days Ago
AT CENTRAL MAINE HEALTHCARE YOU ARE AT THE CENTER OF EVERYTHING WE DO
Our why, our purpose, drives every decision and action we take as a healthcare system. We strive everyday to deliver exceptional care, and to improve our community. We are a non-profit organization that is breaking the traditional healthcare mold by bringing our patients and their family’s high value, low cost, and award-winning care while focusing on creating an exceptional experience for them; all within their communities. To accomplish this, we only hire individuals who are committed to excellence, who embody the principles of our CMH Experience Service Standards, and who are ready to step in and help their fellow team members achieve those exceptional results for our patients, their families, and the community.
Central Maine Healthcare System
The organization is broad in its footprint, with three (3) hospitals in Bridgton, Lewiston, and Rumford, and over 75 individual practices within our Medical Group. Lewiston’s Central Maine Medical Center is a certified and award-winning level two trauma center, along with our Central Maine Heart and Vascular Institute and the upcoming highly anticipated launch of our comprehensive state of the art cancer treatment center. Both Bridgton and Rumford Hospitals are four (4) star accredited acute care hospitals, and our Medical Group and Maine Urgent Care Centers have won multiple awards within their specialties. As a system we are a six-time winner of the Leapfrog Safety A Rating since 2019, representing some of the highest quality care and outcomes nationwide. Our awards and accolades are only possible as a result of our commitment to culture, and a focus on safety and inclusion, in each of our patient’s experiences and in the experiences we create within our teams.
If you are a person who is looking for a way to give back to your community, to help improve the lives of patients or those who care for our patients, want to be part of a growing organization that is setting the bar for Maine healthcare, apply to join Central Maine Healthcare today!