SVP/ASST CHIEF LEGAL OFFICER
DALLAS, TX, 75265-5999
Full-time · Day · 8:00 - 5:00
Req # 20058516
- Category A: Employee with no patient impact
- FLSA: exempt
- The Sr. Vice President & Assistant Chief Legal Officer (ACLO) shall report directly to the Executive Vice President -Legal Affairs & Chief Legal Officer (CLO). The ACLO will assist the CLO with operations of the Legal Affairs Department, having other members of the Legal Affairs Department reporting directly to the ACLO as assigned from time to time. The position is designed to not only provide additional legal support for the system and department but to provide a training environment for the individual as a possible successor to the CLO. The ACLO shall be a full-time licensed attorney with general expertise in health care law and special interest in certain areas of law in which MHS and its related entities are regularly involved. One of the primary purposes of the position shall be to assist the CLO in managing the Legal Affairs Department by providing oversight of the areas within the department that are assigned to the ACLO by the CLO while at the same time providing general legal services and advice on a day-to-day basis to the various business units of the Methodist Health System.
- Supports the mission, vision, values and strategic goals of Methodist Health System.
Your Job Requirements:
- Admission to practice law in at least one state in the U.S with a preference to be admitted tom practice law in Texas and proof that law license is in good standing.
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school
- 10+ years of experience in that practice of law with at least 3 years of practicing in-house at a hospital or health system (exceptions for practicing extensively in health care law and having hospitals and/or health systems as primary clients)
- Familiarity and working knowledge of health care law in general and general aspects of corporate law, contract law and business law
- Superior oral and written communication skills
- Strong process and confidentiality orientation
- Detail oriented, logical, and methodological approach to problem solving
- Ability to supervise, plan and schedule the work of others
- Demonstrated capability to interface and maintain effective relations with all departments and employees in a team-oriented environment
- Physical demands and working conditions
- Capable of performing stressful environments
- Sitting, standing, kneeing abilities required
- Typing skills and visual skills necessary
- Ability to Travel primarily within DFW metroplex to MHS-owned facitilie, physicain pracitices, or business locations as well as to various law firms and courts.
Your Job Responsibilities:
- Assists CLO in managing the Legal Affairs Department including overseeing members of the Legal Affairs Department that are assigned to the ACLO as a direct report
- Reports to the CLO on all matters
- Develops a full understanding of the Legal Affairs Department and the responsibilities of the CLO including accompanying the CLO, as requested, to meetings of key leaders within the organization such as MHS Board and MHS Board Committee meetings and senior executive management meetings
- Advises executives, management and staff on legal matters.
- Prepares and reviews contracts and other corporate documents (e.g., governance documents, policies, governing board consents and resolutions, etc)
- Becomes familiar with the process to manage claims against MHS and supervise outside counsel involved with claims and litigation with the goal of ultimately being responsible for the process.
- Actively involved in MHS compliance program
- Provides legal advice and assistance to MHS management staff and governing boards of MHS controlled entities to which the CLO assigns the ACLO
- Develop and present presentations and training as necessary in support of MHS strategic initiatives and objectives
- Provide guidance and advice in areas of medical staff relations including assisting with credentialing questions, peer review matters and medical staff organizational matters
- Proactively recruit, supervise, guide and direct the performance and interactions of direct reports ensuring they meet their goals and objectives in a timely and positive manner.
- As assigned by the CLO, oversees, coordinates and facilitates the maintenance, trouble shooting, training, accuracy and ongoing development of the database tools utilized within the Legal Affairs Department (e.g., MediTract - Contract Database; DocuSign Platform; Directors Desk – board management platform; STARS – claims management system; etc.)
- Becomes familiar with the process to manage conflicts of interests and business ethics issues with the goal of ultimately being responsible for the process
© 2021 HealthcareSource HR, Inc. All Rights Reserved.