Surgical Scheduler, CMA, Full Time - Urology - Cherry Hill, NJ
Apply for Job
Camden County, NJ
Add to Favorite Jobs
Email this Job
Must be MA Certified
The Surgical Scheduler performs a variety of administrative and clinical duties to include support of the physician and care team in providing quality medical care to patients. Duties include, but are not limited to obtaining referrals/ pre-certification of procedures, scheduling required labs, radiology exams, and cardiac workup confirming clearance and consents are in order, faxing all required documentation (Patients consents, clearances, results, H n P., etc.) to the OR, confirming receipt of same, finalizing schedule, arranging any special requirements Ex. Equipment needs, verifies schedule with provider and patient, coordinates add-ons, follows proper procedure regarding conflicts. In addition responsible for preparation of exam rooms, preparation of patients for exams, performing procedures, maintenance of accurate, patient documents and handling patient phone calls while maintaining compliance with confidentiality regulations.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Obtains referrals/ pre-certification, schedules required labs, radiology exams, and cardiac workup. Confirms clearance and consents are in order, faxing all required documentation (Patients consents, clearances, results, H n P., etc.) to the OR
- Confirming receipt of same, finalizing schedule, arranging any special requirements Ex. Equipment needs, verifies schedule with provider and patient, coordinates add-ons, follows proper procedure regarding conflicts
- Assists physician(s)/practitioner with diagnostic procedures and treatments and the ordering of same, assisting with explaining treatments to patients, as directed
- Participates in the identification/evaluation of potential safety problems, & adheres to specific OSHA/HIPAA/C LIA/C MS and infection control guidelines 100% of the time
- Provides patient/significant other education, specific to the chief complaint, offers education for health promotion for observed behaviors known to contribute to poor health in accordance with the request of physician(s)
- Provides patient instruction using pre-approved patient education materials for the respective practice and documents action in the medical chart as advised by physician/practitioner
- Answers patient questions concerning medications, when indicated, based on the understanding of the use of medications including basic dosages, side effects, and interactions as advised by physician/practitioner
- Assists in scheduling patients for procedures, providing patient instructions specific to procedure
- Assists physician with patient calls for normal and abnormal tests
- Executes physician's orders with respect to the ordering of labs, rads and procedures
- Records appropriate information in electronic medical records in accordance to scope of practice.
- Appropriately documents utilizing correct spelling, grammar, and medical terminology in a format consistent with the EMR’s work flow
- Ensures that testing results, if clinically appropriate, and other pertinent data are available to physician(s)/practitioner prior to reporting to the Operating Room
- Performs other clerical duties as instructed by supervisor.
- Performs duties, as needed, such as answering telephone and disburses callers in a friendly, prompt and accurate manner; managing daily appointment schedules; performing registration and reception functions; and performing patient checkout duties
- Assists the physician(s)/practitioner to manage the timeliness of appointment schedules
- Assists with orientation and training of new associates as requested by physician or practice supervisor
- Performs any other assigned duties as requested and delegated by physician or practice supervisor
Must be certified/registered as a Medical Assistant through AAMA, AMCA ,NCCT, NHA or AMT.
Must have a current CPR certification.
Previous Surgical scheduling experience required.
1-3 years experience in physician practice setting preferred; strong Medical Terminology background.
EPIC Snapboard experience preferred.
High School Graduate or equivalent required.
The ability to read and communicate in the English language.
Must be organized, detail oriented, and possess excellent communication skills. This position works in a fast-paced environment and requires flexibility with duties.
Jefferson Health delivers state of the art healthcare services to patients throughout the Delaware Valley and southern New Jersey. Jefferson (Philadelphia University + Thomas Jefferson University) provides more than 8,400 full and part-time students from nearly 40 states and 40 countries with 21st century professional education. Combined, we have over 30,000 employees.
Jefferson Health, with 14 hospitals (seven are Magnet designated by the ANCC for nursing excellence) and 40+ outpatient and urgent care locations, offers a broad range of primary and complex, highly specialized care that touches the lives of more than four million patients annually. U.S. News & World Report has ranked Thomas Jefferson University Hospital among the nation’s best in eight specialties. Jefferson Health also includes the NCI designated Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center; it is one of only 70 such centers in the nation.
Thomas Jefferson University has ten colleges and three schools that offer more than 160 undergraduate and graduate programs. Our University is dedicated to inter-professional and transdisciplinary approaches to learning that offer a vibrant and expandable platform for professional education. Through this unique model, we are preparing our students for current and yet to be imagined careers.
As an employer, Jefferson maintains a commitment to provide equal access to employment. Jefferson values diversity and encourages applications from women, members of minority groups, LGBTQ individuals, disabled individuals, and veterans.