Student Nurse – Cardiac Surgery Stepdown Unit
Job ID: 81014
Area of Interest: Nursing Support
Location: Baltimore,MD US
Hours of Work: 12 hr shifts
Job Facility: University of Maryland Medical Center
Employment Type: Supplemental/Per Diem
What You Will Do:
Student Nurse – Cardiac Surgery Stepdown
Supp – Rotating Shift
Come elevate your skills and experience by working with a world class 800-bed, Magnet designated Academic Medical Center with a comprehensive and technologically advanced surgical suites.
We are looking for talented Student Nurse to join our nursing team here at University of Maryland Medical Center.
As a Student Nurse at UMMC, you’ll experience:
- A supportive and collaborative work environment
- An Achievable Professional Advancement model: Opportunities to progress in function, skills, and pay through our achievable promotion schedule;
- The opportunity to work in a specialized care environment at an Academic Medical Center with a nursing centered care model and Magnet Designation;
- A comprehensive benefits package including health, vision and dental coverage including prescription drug coverage, Tax-Free Savings Plans and more!
- A highly competitive wage scale: Annual merit increases and a base wage scale that is measured against to market standards.
- Generous tuition reimbursement of up to $10,000 per year for your graduate degree at University of Maryland School of Nursing.
Located in downtown Baltimore near the Inner Harbor and Camden Yards, you won’t find a more vibrant place to work!
Cardiac Surgery Step Down: The Cardiac Surgery Step-Down Unit is a 26-bed unit that provides care to adult patients requiring pre- and post-operative care for heart surgery. There are 22 private and 4 semi-private beds, all with telemetry monitoring. This feature allows the heart team to monitor you 24 hours a day while nurses work with complex care patients.
Members of the Cardiac Surgery Step-Down nursing team care for post open-heart surgery patients who are one or more days removed from surgery. Patients on the unit will have undergone invasive open-chest procedures including: heart and lung transplants, Ventricular Assist Devices (VAD), and more. The patient care involves working with the inter-disciplinary team to progress patients through the care plan by providing top of its class nursing, respiratory, and physical therapy care to patients so they can ambulate and recover from their surgery.
The Student Nurse, under the direct supervision of a registered nurse, participates in the nursing process in delivering care to patients and their families. Duties and responsibilities include direct care activities required in daily practice on the assigned unit. Fulfillment of the job duties requires the employee to have access to medication storage areas.
What You Need to Be Successful:
- Currently enrolled in an accredited school of nursing program
- Good academic standing for junior or senior year of a BSN, AA or Diploma program.
- Must be licensed as a CNA in the state of Maryland
- Demonstrates knowledge of universal blood and body fluid precautions and aseptic technique.
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served on the assigned unit. The individual must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient’s requirements relative to his or her age-specific needs and to provide the care needed as described in the unit’s/area’s/department’s policies and procedures.
- Ability to independently lift up to 25 pounds and to lift, position, and/or assist patients; standing and/or walking for 100% of scheduled work time; pushing and/or pulling wheelchairs, beds and related equipment.
- Effective communication and interpersonal relationship skills are required to effectively interact with patients, families, nurses and other staff.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
- Follow us on