Staff Veterinarian, Animal Resources Program-Bowman Gray Campus "Job Details"
Winston-Salem, NC, United States
Laboratory / Animal Care
- Medical Center Blvd, Winston Salem, NC, 27157, US
09/01/2021, 10:25 PM
Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist is a preeminent academic health system based in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist’s two main components are an integrated clinical system – anchored by Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, an 885-bed tertiary-care hospital in Winston-Salem, Brenner Children’s Hospital, five community hospitals, more than 350 primary and specialty care locations and more than 2,500 physicians; and Wake Forest School of Medicine, a recognized leader in experiential medical education and groundbreaking research, including Wake Forest Innovations, a commercialization enterprise focused on advancing health care through new medical technologies and biomedical discovery.
If viewing this posting outside our network, please go to wakehealth.edu/careers and search for job by title.
The ARP veterinary staff supports the academic mission by providing essential clinical care of animals used for research, by ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements and support the animal-based research endeavor across all Wake Forest campuses. The veterinary staff must assure animals are healthy and suitable for research activities, respond to emergency and daily clinical needs of animals, provide support for animal-related research activities, assure compliance with regulations and provide support for overall animal welfare.
Under limited supervision, provides veterinary clinical care to animals used in the research and teaching programs of Wake Forest University. Directs and guides Animal Resources Program (ARP) veterinary technicians.
Degree in Veterinary Medicine from an AVMA accredited school with one year of veterinary practice experience.
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION, and/or REGISTRATION
State licensure to practice veterinary medicine in the United States.
- Training and/or experience in laboratory animal medicine
- Excellent medical and surgical skills
- Provides veterinary care (medical, surgical, and emergency) to laboratory animal species. This includes daily rounds, physical examinations, diagnostic evaluations, and procedures. Rotates with veterinary faculty, staff, and trainees to provide weekend and holiday care.
- Develops and implements treatment plans, and completes medical records accordingly.
- Develops and implements standard operating procedures pertaining to the care and use of research animals.
- Participates in monitoring animals following surgery, including pain assessment.
- Provides instruction for certification program for testing nonhuman primates for tuberculosis. Supervises intradermal tuberculin tests, and participate in reading testing as well as completing paperwork.
- Supervises and trains veterinary technicians.
- Participates in hands-on training of veterinary students, residents, and fellows.
- Maintains compliance with regulations, policies, and safety procedures.
- Provides guidance and assistance to ARP veterinary technicians and other ARP support personnel.
- Performs other related work incidental to the duties described herein.
- Requires weekend, holiday and off-hours coverage as needed on a rotating basis
- Possible exposure to odors, allergens, and outdoor elements
- Exposure to human and animal pathogens
- Exposure to animals that can inflict bites, kicks, or that can scratch
- Exposure to potential hazardous/ noxious devices, chemicals, and radiation
Wake Forest Baptist Health and Atrium Health have joined forces in a strategic combination that will enhance care, transform medical education and create economic opportunity for countless lives in North Carolina and beyond. As a part of that combination, the two health systems will be integrating technology and platforms, including our career sites.
This means that although you are applying on the Wake Forest Baptist Health Career Site, you receive communications from the Atrium Health Recruitment Team. Please know that this is an expected process, and thanks in advance for your flexibility.
Wake Forest Baptist Health (www.WakeHealth.edu) is a nationally recognized academic health system in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, with an integrated enterprise including educational and research facilities, hospitals, clinics, diagnostic centers, and other primary and specialty care facilities serving 24 counties in northwest North Carolina and southwest Virginia.
It comprises: a regional clinical system with more than 300 locations, 2,100 physicians and 1,535 acute care beds; Wake Forest School of Medicine; and Wake Forest Innovations, which promotes the commercialization of research discoveries and operates Innovation Quarter, an urban research and business park specializing in biotechnology, materials science and information technology. Wake Forest Baptist’s clinical, research and educational programs are consistently ranked among the best in the country.
About the Team
Wake Forest Baptist Health's mission is to improve the health of our region, state and nation by:
- Generating and translating knowledge to prevent, diagnose and treat disease.
- Training leaders in health care and biomedical science.
- Serving as the premier health system in our region, with specific centers of excellence recognized as national and international care destination.
Wake Forest Baptist Health is a preeminent learning health system that promotes better health for all through collaboration, excellence and innovation.
- Demonstrate the highest standards of patient-centered care, education, research and operational effectiveness
- Responsive to the physical, emotional, spiritual and intellectual needs of all
- Cultivate selfless contribution for the greater good
- Demonstrate fairness, honesty, sincerity and accountability
- Demonstrate respect for and inclusion of all backgrounds, identities, experiences, and perspectives
- Foster mutual respect, facilitate professional growth and mentorship, and reward teamwork and collaboration
- Promote creativity to enhance discovery and the application of knowledge
- Embrace a culture of reliability through better process design and accountability
Patient and Family Promise
We promise to:
- Keep you safe.
- Care for you.
- Involve you and your family.
- Respect you and your time.