Staff Nurse III
Radiology, Winston Campus
Full time days, every other weekend rotation & on call rotation
Wake Forest Baptist Health is a pre-eminent academic health system based in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. Wake Forest Baptist’s two main components are an integrated clinical system – anchored by Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, an 885-bed tertiary-care hospital in Winston-Salem – that includes Brenner Children’s Hospital, five community hospitals, more than 350 primary and specialty care locations and more than 2,500 physicians; and Wake Forest School of Medicine, a recognized leader in experiential medical education and groundbreaking research that includes Wake Forest Innovations, a commercialization enterprise focused on advancing health care through new medical technologies and biomedical discovery.
Provides excellent and efficient nursing care to patients throughout their Radiology visit using the nursing process (assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation) and by performing various roles including physiologic monitoring, circulating, scrubbing, and other duties specific to licensure, certification, and/or registration. Directs and leads other assigned team members and collaborates with multidisciplinary team members to provide age/developmentally appropriate care in accordance with nursing standards of care and practice.
- Graduation from accredited school of nursing. BSN preferred.
- One year experience in critical care, preferably Neuro ICU or Cardiovascular ICU, ED or procedural nursing.
- Maintains Moderate Sedation Administration and Airway Management competency.
- Maintains competency for Cortrak Dobhoff tube placement.
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION, and/or REGISTRATION:
- Registered Nurse licensure from the State of North Carolina. Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) required
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) and Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) required within orientation period if not satisfied as of date of hire.
- CRN preferred.
1. Provides patient/family centered care, acting as partner and adviser assists and supports patients and families to manage health care optimally, respecting culture, values, individual needs, health goals and treatment preferences.
2. Applies critical reasoning and astute clinical judgement in order to expedite appropriate care and treatment, especially given that the patient may present with complex problems or potentially life threatening conditions.
3. Utilizes and promotes the use of technology and equipment to enhance the safety of patients and staff.
4. Communicates effectively and professionally to promote sharing of information throughout the continuum of care and as an effective member of the healthcare team.
5. Performs and maintains competency for point-of-care testing as assigned, waived and or non-waived, ensuring compliance with WFBH policies and with applicable state and federal regulations.
6. Focuses on patient safety and the quality of nursing care by applying appropriate nursing interventions, such as identifying and clarifying patient needs, performing procedures, conducting health education, promoting patient advocacy, coordinating nursing and other health services, assisting the patient to navigate the health care system, and evaluating patient outcomes.
7. Demonstrates the ability to function in a professional setting through active participation in a professional practice model. Includes participating in shared governance, adherence to standards of care, participation in peer review and professional development promoting leadership and clinical excellence, effective team skills, autonomous practice and acknowledgement of accountability for actions and critical thinking. Pursues lifelong learning that updates and expands their clinical, organizational, and professional roles and responsibilities.
8. Provides moderate sedation administration and appropriate patient care and monitoring during both diagnostic and interventional radiology procedures and treatments, ensures readiness of emergency equipment and supplies, and reacts appropriately to potential emergency situations.
9. Provides 24/7 on-call coverage for Interventional Radiology procedures.
10. Successfully places Dobhoff tubes per policy and guidelines.
11. Appropriately utilizes automated medication dispensing systems to ensure safe handling of all medications including controlled substances and reports and resolves medication discrepancies in accordance with medical center policy and procedure
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Ability to provide direct and indirect care to patients of varying ages and at their level of comprehension
- Ability to communicate on a professional level with physicians, nurses and other ancillary professional staff when discussing patient care, procedures or problems
- Analytical skills necessary for problem assessment and solution with schedules and equipment
- Ability to handle a stressful environment daily and support employees and physicians in a critical patient care environment
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Solid written and oral communication skills
- Ability to tolerate moderate to high stress levels
- Subject to occasional crowded conditions
- Subject to irregular hours
- Moderate noise environment
- Handles emergency or crisis situations
- May perform emergency care
- Subject to many interruptions and stressful situations
- Regular exposure to the risk of blood borne diseases, infections and contagious diseases
- Contact with patients, family members, community members, co-workers and medical staff under a wide variety of circumstances
- Handles absentee replacement on short notice
- Required to wear PPE
- Exposure to radiation hazards
- Subject to wearing lead aprons for long periods of time
- Exposure to strong magnetic fields
Amount of time spent performing the following activities:
0% 35% 65%
to to to
35% 65% 100% N/A Activity
x Reaching with arms
x Finger and hand dexterity
x Lifting, carrying, pushing and or pulling:
x 20 lbs. maximum
x 50 lbs. maximum
x 100 lbs. maximum
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply Now" button on this page. You must complete the application process and then submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button located at the bottom of the page titled "Submit Online Application". You will receive the following message once you hit the submit button: "You have successfully submitted your job application".
Computers are available for applying within the lobby of the Human Resources Department located at 1920 West First Street, (on the corner of Miller and First Street) Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27104. You may also call our office for assistance at (336) 716-6464. Office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact our Supervisor of Office Services by phone (336) 716-3367 or email at email@example.com.
It is the policy of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center to administer all educational and employment activities without discrimination because of race, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status (except where sex is a bona fide occupational qualification or a statutory requirement) in accordance with all local, state, national laws, executive orders, regulations, and guidelines.