29 Lowell Street Building
At Central Maine Healthcare our team members are committed to providing exceptional care and experiences for our community and for each other every day.
Position Summary: The Staff Accountant reports to the Manager of Accounting and works under the direction of the Senior Accountant. The Staff Accountant is responsible for assisting in the daily accounting functions and the month end closing. The Staff Accountant will review and analyze general ledger activity and related supporting reports. The position will prepare journal entries, reconciliation reports and various financial reports. The Staff Accountant will be assigned specific month end duties and will be responsible for the timely completion of all duties assigned.
Duties and Responsibilties:
1. Supports the Director of Accounting and Senior Accountants in the operation of the General Accounting Department to ensure the maintenance of efficient department operations. Effectiveness is monitored and observed by the Senior Accountants and the Director of Accounting.
2. Assists and reviews schedules of additions, deletions, construction in progress accounts, renovations, and other capitalized transactions. Assures accuracy of assigned depreciable lives in accordance with current AHA “Estimated Useful Lives of Depreciable Hospital Assets” publication.
3. Prepares assigned accounting schedules and analyses within job responsibilities on a monthly basis.
4. Performs research and prepares analyses for projects given to the General Accounting Department, through the Director of Accounting to complete from executive management or other vice presidents.
5. Works on these projects as assigned and reviewed by the Senior Accountants and the Director of Accounting.
6. Reviews entries and transactions to the books of original entry and general ledger and evaluates accuracy of data.
7. Assists in completion on timely basis of financial statements per month end schedule. Assists in the review of financials prior to release and distribution. Participates in research of questions to variances of financial data.
8. Ensures reconciliation of subsidiary ledgers. Ensures completion and review of required monthly account analyses and reconciliation of certain balance sheet accounts and profit and loss statement accounts. Prepares account analyses and reconciliation as assigned by the Senior Accountant and the Director of Accounting.
9. Supports the Accounting Team assigned to, as well as the Finance Department, to achieve the goals set forth for the team and the department.
10. Responsible for supporting the team.
11. Seeks out, understands, listens, and conveys clearly, information, as needed, in written and verbal forms.
12. Demonstrates tact, courtesy, and a positive attitude in communication and interaction with other employees, visitors, physicians, and the public. At all times represents the department and the hospital in a positive manner.
13. Demonstrates willingness and ability to initiate and implement and support organizational change
14. Accepts and effectively fulfills, with a positive attitude, additional responsibilities as assigned by Supervisor.
15. Customer Service: Interacts with all individuals in a consistent manner, providing attention, support, and assistance to foster an environment of exceptional personal service.
a. Maintains a pleasant and helpful demeanor, and presents a professional appearance toward all internal and external customers at all times.
b. Consistently initiates interaction to provide assistance to individuals who may not be direct customers of the employee (i.e. asks patients who appear to be lost if they need assistance in finding their way).
c. Takes appropriate action to recover from a service difficulty, ensuring that the necessary action is taken to affect a resolution to the customer’s problem.
d. Conducts all work activities with respect for coworkers, including the maintenance of a pleasant and professional environment, fostering calmness during stressful situations.
e. Interacts with supervisory personnel in a professional, supportive and courteous manner, venting emotions appropriate to time and place.
f. Demonstrates a commitment to service by consistent attendance and punctuality, scheduling absences according to departmental requirements, and incurring unplanned absences only when unavoidable circumstances exist.
16. Adheres to dress code, appearance is neat and clean.
17. Completes annual education requirements.
18. Maintains regulatory requirements.
19. Reports to work on time and as scheduled, completes work within designated time.
20. Wears identification while on duty, uses computerized punch time system correctly.
21. Completes training and returns in a timely fashion.
22. Attends annual review and department training, as scheduled.
23. Attends and activiely participates in scheduled and impromptu staff meetings.
24. Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner.
25. Actively participates in performance improvement and continuous quality improvement (CQI) activities.
26. Complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
27. Communicates the mission, ethics and goals of the facility, as well as the focus statement of the department.
28. Confidentiality: Maintains confidentiality of information at all times.
a. Consistently maintains confidentiality of all information gained during the course of employment, respecting the privacy of others.
b. Understands and maintains the confidentiality of information communicated directly from the supervisor, including discussions of a counseling nature.
c. Follows policies and procedures related to medico legal matters, including confidentiality, amendments of medical records, patient rights, medical records as legal evidence and informed consent
d. Copies records according to policy, assuring the appropriateness of the individual requesting information from the record prior to copying, faxing, or phoning any portion of the record.
29. Safety: Demonstrates an understanding of fire and electrical safety, infection control, body mechanics, and related areas, as appropriate to position.
a. Attends mandatory training on fire safety, electrical safety, infection control, and body mechanics. Successfully completes competency-based training in each area.
b. Follows all employee health procedures, incident reporting, and infection control requirements at all times, as appropriate to the position.
c. Uses proper body mechanics at all times as required by the physical demands of the position.
d. Maintains a safe work environment and performs duties of the position in a manner consistent with ensuring the safety of self and others.
e. Identifies safety needs in areas outside own work environment, recommending corrective action as appropriate.
30. Expense Control: Performs job duties in a manner that maximizes expense control.
a. Uses supplies, equipment, and utilities in an expeditious manner
b. Consistently recommends methods to control costs while maintaining a high degree of customer service.
c. Performs job tasks efficiently and effectively resulting in no unplanned overtime.
• Associates Degree in Accounting or business related field and at lease 4-5 years relevant experience.
• Must be of sound character, able to analyze the general ledger and the postings to the general ledger from the books of original entry; prepare and evaluate the journal entries, the reconciliation of the general ledgers and subsidiary ledgers, and the analyses of the general ledger accounts; prepare and evaluate the flow of the accounts and information to the financial statements and other required reports. Must be familiar with data processing procedures, reports, and systems to identify and correct problems with the general ledger and the related reporting. Must have experience in spreadsheets and Word; experience in PowerPoint would be helpful. Communication and providing good customer service is an important aspect of this position.
• The Staff Accountant is a member of a team of accountants that will be responsible for working together to achieve the goals of the Finance Department. Willingness to be a part of a team environment is required. Goal setting is performed under the direction of the Manager of Accounting. The Staff Accountant is expected to exercise judgment, initiative, and independent action in meeting the goals and objectives of the position and the team. The Staff Accountant must keep the Senior Accountants informed on the status of assigned responsibilities and projects.
• Able to effectively communicate in English, both verbally and in writing.
• Strong written and verbal skills.
• Additional languages preferred.
• Basic computer knowledge.
• For physical demands of position, including vision, hearing, repetitive motion and environment, see following description.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position without compromising client care.
If you are passionate about making a difference and are looking for your next great career opportunity, we look forward to reviewing your application!
Posted 3 Days Ago
AT CENTRAL MAINE HEALTHCARE YOU ARE AT THE CENTER OF EVERYTHING WE DO
Our why, our purpose, drives every decision and action we take as a healthcare system. We strive everyday to deliver exceptional care, and to improve our community. We are a non-profit organization that is breaking the traditional healthcare mold by bringing our patients and their family’s high value, low cost, and award-winning care while focusing on creating an exceptional experience for them; all within their communities. To accomplish this, we only hire individuals who are committed to excellence, who embody the principles of our CMH Experience Service Standards, and who are ready to step in and help their fellow team members achieve those exceptional results for our patients, their families, and the community.
Central Maine Healthcare System
The organization is broad in its footprint, with three (3) hospitals in Bridgton, Lewiston, and Rumford, and over 75 individual practices within our Medical Group. Lewiston’s Central Maine Medical Center is a certified and award-winning level two trauma center, along with our Central Maine Heart and Vascular Institute and the upcoming highly anticipated launch of our comprehensive state of the art cancer treatment center. Both Bridgton and Rumford Hospitals are four (4) star accredited acute care hospitals, and our Medical Group and Maine Urgent Care Centers have won multiple awards within their specialties. As a system we are a six-time winner of the Leapfrog Safety A Rating since 2019, representing some of the highest quality care and outcomes nationwide. Our awards and accolades are only possible as a result of our commitment to culture, and a focus on safety and inclusion, in each of our patient’s experiences and in the experiences we create within our teams.
If you are a person who is looking for a way to give back to your community, to help improve the lives of patients or those who care for our patients, want to be part of a growing organization that is setting the bar for Maine healthcare, apply to join Central Maine Healthcare today!
Diversity and Equal Employment Opportunity
CMH actively promotes diversity in its workforce at all levels of the organization. We strive to create and maintain a setting where we celebrate cultural and other differences and consider them strengths of the organization. CMH is an equal opportunity workforce and no one shall discriminate against any individual with regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or veteran status with respect to any offer, or term or condition, of employment. We make reasonable accommodations to the known physical and mental limitations of qualified individuals with disabilities.