Sr. Patient Scheduling Coordinator, Surgery "Job Details"
Winston-Salem, NC, United States
- Medical Center Blvd, Winston Salem, NC, 27157, US
08/20/2021, 06:04 AM
Under general supervision, assumes primary responsibility for a specialty surgical care team, which may be designated by provider or specialty team and, at minimum, will consist of two surgeons, APP and RN support or some combination therein. Maintains knowledge base to provide back-up coverage to all sub-specialty providers and ensures consistency of daily operations during volume peaks, vacations or other absences. All providers on the team will maintain ambulatory schedules to assist in meeting patient needs and access expectations.
High school diploma or GED equivalent with three years' experience in a direct consumer services role with demonstrated ability to resolve problems under stressful conditions required. Experience handling multiple calls in a stressful environment preferred. Previous experience working in a surgical specialty environment and a strong working knowledge of medical terminology preferred.
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION, and/or REGISTRATION:
- Answers incoming phone lines for specialty care team. Maintains pre-determined abandon rates.
- Schedules appointments and ancillary studies for patients. Ensures authorizations are obtained for any applicable office visit or study and update computer system with authorization information if needed. Obtains authorization from insurance companies for any special tests requested by the doctor and scheduled within 72 hours of date of service.
- Orders outside ancillary studies or therapy and obtain authorization if needed. Ensures results are received in the office prior to the appointment date and available in WakeOne.
- Ensures follow-up appointments are coordinated with ancillary testing or treatment. If applicable, requests test results be sent to the office and ensures results and studies are loaded into the WakeOne System.
- Facilitates physician-to-physician communication via PAL Line, directs incoming calls, schedules peer-to-peer review etc.
- Cancels appointments and studies. Refers and reschedules at patient request when needed.
- Reviews all studies when returned from digitization to ensure all images are downloaded and accessible.
- Schedules all ambulatory procedures. Pre-certifies patients and obtains authorizations as needed. Coordinates ambulatory and surgical clinical activity between neurosurgery/orthopedic residents and supervising faculty.
- Receives, reviews, documents and routes all external referrals. Following provider review, completes follow up as directed by the physician.
- Returns patient calls per APP or physician instructions and communicates follow up directions as needed. Schedules appointments and ancillary studies as needed.
- Assists in the training of less experienced personnel as instructed.
- Maintains travel and academic calendars for physicians as designated. Ensures time away for travel, CME or vacation is accurately recorded and communicated in a timely manner to facilitate development of the call schedules.
- Receives and manages urgent and emergent requests that are critical for patient safety and good clinical outcomes. Routes as appropriate per departmental guidelines.
- Performs financial duties such as authorizing or obtaining authorization for insurance, assisting patients regarding billing questions, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Ability to maneuver several computer software systems simultaneously to access/document data related to interactions
Works independently without direct supervision
Ability to maintain a positive attitude when interacting with the public
Wake Forest Baptist Health and Atrium Health have joined forces in a strategic combination that will enhance care, transform medical education and create economic opportunity for countless lives in North Carolina and beyond. As a part of that combination, the two health systems will be integrating technology and platforms, including our career sites.
This means that although you are applying on the Wake Forest Baptist Health Career Site, you receive communications from the Atrium Health Recruitment Team. Please know that this is an expected process, and thanks in advance for your flexibility.
Wake Forest Baptist Health (www.WakeHealth.edu) is a nationally recognized academic health system in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, with an integrated enterprise including educational and research facilities, hospitals, clinics, diagnostic centers, and other primary and specialty care facilities serving 24 counties in northwest North Carolina and southwest Virginia.
It comprises: a regional clinical system with more than 300 locations, 2,100 physicians and 1,535 acute care beds; Wake Forest School of Medicine; and Wake Forest Innovations, which promotes the commercialization of research discoveries and operates Innovation Quarter, an urban research and business park specializing in biotechnology, materials science and information technology. Wake Forest Baptist’s clinical, research and educational programs are consistently ranked among the best in the country.
About the Team
Wake Forest Baptist Health's mission is to improve the health of our region, state and nation by:
- Generating and translating knowledge to prevent, diagnose and treat disease.
- Training leaders in health care and biomedical science.
- Serving as the premier health system in our region, with specific centers of excellence recognized as national and international care destination.
Wake Forest Baptist Health is a preeminent learning health system that promotes better health for all through collaboration, excellence and innovation.
- Demonstrate the highest standards of patient-centered care, education, research and operational effectiveness
- Responsive to the physical, emotional, spiritual and intellectual needs of all
- Cultivate selfless contribution for the greater good
- Demonstrate fairness, honesty, sincerity and accountability
- Demonstrate respect for and inclusion of all backgrounds, identities, experiences, and perspectives
- Foster mutual respect, facilitate professional growth and mentorship, and reward teamwork and collaboration
- Promote creativity to enhance discovery and the application of knowledge
- Embrace a culture of reliability through better process design and accountability
Patient and Family Promise
We promise to:
- Keep you safe.
- Care for you.
- Involve you and your family.
- Respect you and your time.