Sr. Outpatient Coder (Remote)
Job ID: 92998
Area of Interest: Clerical
Location: Cheverly,MD US
Hours of Work: M-F
Job Facility: University of Maryland Medical System
Employment Type: Supplemental/Per Diem
What You Will Do:Under direct supervision accurately codes hospital Ambulatory Surgery and Observation visit records for the purpose of appropriate reimbursement, research and compliance with federal and state regulations according to established ICD-10 diagnostic coding and CPT-4 procedure coding classification systems.
II.Principal Responsibilities and Tasks The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
- Serves as a clinical coding subject matter expert, and utilizes critical thinking to analyze and evaluate documentation issues with consultation from the medical and clinical staff, and clinical documentation specialists as needed. Identifies and assigns ICD-10 diagnostic codes and CPT-4 procedure codes to outpatient, ambulatory surgery, and observation visits for the purpose of reimbursement, research and compliance with federal and state regulations.
- Monitors assigned work on a daily basis in order to facilitate the billing process within the established timeframes. Codes and abstracts records within timeframes established for each patient type.
- Maintains coding quality accuracy rate of 90%.
- Maintains productivity rate of 95%.
- Communicates with various departments within the hospitals regarding billing and registration issues. Refers any problems to management timely, providing clear details.
- Complies with AHIMA standards of ethical coding and coding compliance guidelines.
- Demonstrates support and compliance with University of Maryland Medical System mission, vision, values statement, goals and objectives and policies. Performs other duties or projects such as coding corrections as assigned by the manager.
What You Need to Be Successful:
Education and Experience
- High School graduate or equivalent. Formal ICD-10-CM, and CPT-4 training required. Associates or Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- 2 – 3 years outpatient coding in a healthcare setting. 2-3 years Outpatient Surgical Coding experience in a health care setting preferred.
- Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) or Certified Professional Coder (CPC).
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
What I find most rewarding about my role as a recruiter is picking up the phone and calling a new grad and saying, "Congratulations, you've just won yourself a position as a new grad nurse in our residency program. How does it feel?" And then there is silence on the line and then they say, "Oh my God, thank you so much. I never thought I could do it." And they start sobbing. And I say, "Are you okay?" And they say, "Yes. It's just that I never thought I could do it. I just have been declined or rejected and haven't heard back or whatever the case may be, but you've helped me. You've helped me to improve my resume, revise it, get seen by a manager, get interviewed. And here you are calling me and offering me and I never thought it would happen." For me as a recruiter, it's the most humbling opportunity, humbling, rewarding experience ever to change the life.
All current and new team members, Medical Staff and partners, including contractors, volunteers and students, must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved medical or religious exemption.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW