State City Organization
Let us find jobs for you based on your LinkedIn profile.
Specimen Processor-Lab Aide (Per Diem)
Req ID: 39977BR
Job Summary: Perform under supervision, routine data entry, and clinical functions associated with specimen processing and patient reception.
- Retrieves patient information from computer and relay test results to appropriate personnel.
- Receives Specimen drop-off from patients and clinical departments.
- Assists patients, visitors, and other staff with pertinent information as required. e.g. answering telephones.
- Locates patient lab orders in their respective computer systems (Athena, OMR, Meditech).
- Computer entry of patient registration and lab orders.
- Participates in training of new employees as needed.
- Prepare samples for further Laboratory Analysis e.g labeling, centrifuging.
- Prepare samples for Reference Lab testing.
- Establishes and maintains good rapport and cooperative working attitude with co-workers
and other hospital staff, as well as patients and visitors.
- Exercises discretion and good judgment in maintaining patient confidentiality.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Medical Terminology and computer application preferred.
- Ability to handle simultaneous requests and telephone calls.
- Knowledge of laboratory procedures helpful. Previous experience in Laboratory preferred.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Age based Competencies:
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Neonatal:Birth to 6 months, Youth: 6 months to 16 years, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally
Share this Job
Working at this Location
Check out where you could be working if you apply.
Actor John Krasinski spreads some good news at BIDMC
BIDMC Named Top 25 Hospitals in the Nation to Work For
BIDMC recognized as a leader in “LGBTQ Healthcare Equality”
How to Apply