Shift Coordinator Nurse (RN) – Patient Placement and Supp Staffing, PRN
Job ID: 84843
Area of Interest: Nursing
Location: Baltimore,MD US
Hours of Work: Sun-Sat 7a-7p or 7p-7a
Job Facility: University of Maryland Medical Center
Employment Type: Supplemental/Per Diem
What You Will Do:
Shift Coordinator Nurse (RN) – Patient Placement and Supp Staffing, PRN/Supp
PRN/Supplemental, Rotating Shift — Sun-Sat 7a-7p or 7p-7a
Actively seeking candidates for a Shift Coordinator Nurse (RN) – Patient Placement and Supp Staffing, PRN position to join our nuring team at the University of Maryland Medical System, Downtown campus.
Come elevate your skills and experience by working with a world class 800-bed, Magnet designated Academic Medical Center with a comprehensive and technologically advanced surgical suites.
At the University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC), a designated Magnet facility, we are a team. Nurses and doctors, specialists and therapists, work shoulder-to-shoulder to give our patients the care they deserve. We take time to celebrate each other’s contributions and treat each other with respect by valuing each other’s ideas and opinions. Ultimately, we support each other’s growth. Together, we form a world-class team dedicated to furthering the practice of patient care.
The Shift Coordinator serves as the on-site shift resource for the Medical Center 24 hours/7days per week. The Shift Coordinator collaborates, coordinates, and communicates with administration, physicians, nurse management, staff, patients and support services and external agencies to facilitate the delivery of quality patient care. In collaboration with nurse managers, the Shift Coordinator assumes administrative responsibility for the Department of Nursing for assigned shift. Serves as a liaison between Maryland Access Center (MAC) and nurse manager and assists unit personnel in problem solving, interpretation of institutional policies and procedures, and coordination of patient care services.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
- Maintains and communicates accurate information regarding availability and type of patient beds and services within the hospital to support patient placement. Plans and coordinates patient and bed assignments with the MAC for the Emergency Department, Procedural Areas, and all access points in collaboration with requisite disciplines and providers within the organization.
- As the primary resource for nursing personnel, responds appropriately to clinical issues; guides and directs staff according to nursing standards and practice.
- Assists MAC with patient flow issues and works with clinical leadership to ensure safe staffing on patient care units. Coordinate local patient flow and bed access. Monitors and evaluates patient flow and patient placement considering financial and regulatory issues.
- Identifies and provides for specialized care needs of post arrest patients until planned transfer to the appropriate critical care unit is complete. Oversees the interim management of patients requiring specialized care but who are not in intensive care units.
- Utilizes knowledge of legal principles that affect the provision of nursing care and educates nursing staff of those principles related to consent, blood administration, patient elopement, discharge against medical advice and other such issues.
- Collaborates with hospital and physician leadership to define, reduce and eliminate barriers within the system which may impede patient flow.
- Ensures smooth functioning of the bed management process to reduce wait times and avoid unnecessary movement of patients.
- Makes authoritative decisions regarding the following:
- Administrative Responsibilities
Registered Nurses at UMMC experience:
- A supportive and collaborative work environment
- An Achievable Professional Advancement model: Opportunities to progress in function, skills, and pay through our achievable promotion schedule;
- The opportunity to work in a specialized care environment at an Academic Medical Center with a nursing centered care model and Magnet Designation;
- A comprehensive benefits package including health, vision and dental coverage including prescription drug coverage, Tax-Free Savings Plans and more!
- A highly competitive wage scale: Annual merit increases and a base wage scale that is measured against to market standards.
- Generous tuition reimbursement of up to $10,000 per year for your graduate degree at University of Maryland School of Nursing.
Located in downtown Baltimore near the Inner Harbor and Camden Yards, you won’t find a more vibrant place to work!
What You Need to Be Successful:
Education and Experience
- Graduation from an accredited School of Nursing with a Bachelor’s degree in Nursing required.
- Current licensure in the State of Maryland or eligible for licensure.
- Three years of nursing work experience in a Medical/Surgical and/or Critical Care unit is required.
- BLS/ACLS certification required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of policies and procedures related to hospital emergency codes, discipline and disaster plan is needed for resolving administrative and clinical matters.
- Ability to deliver various educational programs to the off-shift nursing staff related to nursing care and standards, legal principles, CPR and the like.
- Ability to respond, investigate, identify and problem-solve regarding issues related to administrative and clinical matters that require immediate and decisive action.
- Ability to manage staff related to personnel issues such as absenteeism, tardiness, performance standards and to take the appropriate action.
- Highly effective verbal and written communication skills are required to interact with patient families, departmental units, and medical staff on all essential matters and to instruct and evaluate nursing staff.
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the patient population(s) served. Ability to demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and ability to assess data reflective of the patient’s requirements relative to his or her population-specific and age specific needs.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
- Follow us on