Center City, Philadelphia, PA
The enterprise Senior Vice President for Nursing Administration & Operations, leads strategic direction and alignment on nursing workforce, budget/finance, patient care systems including care delivery models, and leadership development. This role oversees the establishment and execution of strategies which support operational initiatives, that contribute to improved quality, experience, safety,and cost/revenue outcomes. Leads the strategy for integrated nursing strategic/financial planning across system including setting direction for responsive nursing workforce plan, talent assessment, recruitment/retention and leader development in partnership with HR Learning and Organizational Development. Serves as key leader of nursing / patient care systems performance improvement initiatives. Is a key partner to enterprise CNOs, CFOs finance leaders and HR leaders. Supports adherence to the ANCC Magnet standards relevant to scope and key accountabilities.
- Plans, manages, implements, and evaluates nursing operational /workforce initiatives to ensure quality, safety, efficiency, and cost-effectiveness.
- Sets direction and strategy with the enterprise CNOs and senior nurse leaders to support nursing leadership accountabilities: Systems, Finance, People, Culture, Operations.
- In partnership with HR and through the nursing governance structure, establishes programs to support nurse leader resilience and wellbeing.
- With the system executive nurse council, stablishes and sets standards for system Nurse Leader performance evaluation process in alignment with the the ANCC Magnet standards.
- Establishes and maintains strategies/levers to assure a responsive, flexible, cost-effective nursing workforce across the system that assure a responsive, flexible, cost-effective nursing workforce across the system that assures the right nurse is with the right patients at the right time.
- Directs the system strategy on aligned use of agency resources including key partnership with HR to oversee Managed Services Partnership (MSP) agreements. Oversees with HR deployment of internal resources like "JeffTemps" to support prioritized staffing needs. Provides reports and strategic recommendations to nursing leadership on a periodic basis.
- Leads proactive risk assessment and planning to communicate key aspects of vulnerability related to nursing workforce and overall nursing financial performance and defines improvement recommendations. Communicates recommendations vertically and horizontally to promote transparency of data and outcomes throughout the organization.
- Leads efforts with HR to assure equity and standardization in nursing roles: titling, accountability mapping and compensation for nursing roles at all levels across the system.
- Is accountable for leading the Nursing ISFP process. Facilitates with CNE, and executive nurse leaders, business / strategy partners, establishment of integrated strategic financial plan including goal setting and monitoring.
- Assures quality patient care by assuring staffing models are aligned with patient acuity, unit demographics and accepted benchmarks. Utilizes productivity, effectiveness outcomes data to drive optimal clinical outcomes for patients.
- Provides routine reports and analysis to CNOs, and system nursing leaders related to nurse vacancy, turnover, nursing cost per adjusted discharge, staff satisfaction. Utilizes industry standard benchmarks to support workforce decisions/strategy.
- Directs special projects and participates in operations/productivity improvement initiatives, evidence based practice and research activities to support nursing clinicall operations and key strategic goals. Networks with peers and professionals at professional / health care organizations to determine best practices in administration and clinical leadership standards.
- Oversees the system nurse scheduling system and analytics including provision of routine reports/analysis on system metrics.Maintain current knowledge of software advances and technology related to staffing effectiveness and recommends initiatives regarding improving nurse staffing strategies.
- Provides system approaches that support effective nursing budget and financial process across the enterprise. Provides financial reports in regards to staffing effectiveness, productivity and utilization data including recommendations to the address variances.
- Leads strategic planning and consultation for effective staffing/ workforce plans, budgeting and financial management. Mentors and coaches nurse leaders across the system in partnership with thes, Divisional CNOs, and senior nurse leaders.
- Serves as facilitator/mentor to the Nurse Leadership Council of Enterprise Nursing Professional Governance. In this capacity assures robust strategy to assess current and emerging nurse leaders and advance leadership decision making that supports overall mission and goals.
- Assures a rich portfolio of nurse leadership development programs/offerings available to assist Nurse leaders to thrive in their roles.
- Accountable for the enterprise nursing balanced scorecard and leads system approaches to nursing operational performance improvement supporting robust workforce and nurse retention. Develops and recommends operating and capital budgets and controls expenditures within approved budget objectives.
- Interacts with co-workers, visitors, and other staff consistent with the values of Jefferson.
Master's Degree in Nursing, or Master's Degree in Health Care Administration, or Master's Degree in Business preferred. Doctorate in Nursing preferred.
OTHER FUNCTIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Outstanding fiscal management skills.
- Proven experience with nursing workforce strategy, tools and tactics.
- Demonstrated skill in nursing leadership development.
- Proficient in use of automated staffing packages.
- In depth knowledge of software packages (productivity, fiscal, workforce). Demonstrated skills in business development, profit-loss analysis.
- Organization, effective communication, negotiation, demonstrated leadership, prioritization, and problem solving skills.
- Knowledge of staffing informatics processes and software and PI management techniques. Strong PC skills.
- Computer proficiency (Word, power point, excel, etc.).
Jefferson Health delivers state of the art healthcare services to patients throughout the Delaware Valley and southern New Jersey. Jefferson (Philadelphia University + Thomas Jefferson University) provides more than 8,400 students from nearly 40 states and 40 countries with 21st century professional education. Combined, we have over 30,000 employees.
Jefferson Health, with 14 hospitals (seven are Magnet designated by the ANCC for nursing excellence) and 40+ outpatient and urgent care locations, offers a broad range of primary and complex, highly specialized care that touches the lives of more than four million patients annually. U.S. News & World Report has ranked Thomas Jefferson University Hospital among the nation’s best in eight specialties. Jefferson Health also includes the NCI designated Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center; it is one of only 70 such centers in the nation.
Thomas Jefferson University has ten colleges and three schools that offer more than 160 undergraduate and graduate programs. Our University is dedicated to inter-professional and transdisciplinary approaches to learning that offer a vibrant and expandable platform for professional education. Through this unique model, we are preparing our students for current and yet to be imagined careers.
As an employer, Jefferson maintains a commitment to provide equal access to employment. Jefferson values diversity and encourages applications from women, members of minority groups, LGBTQ individuals, disabled individuals, and veterans.