Senior Research Associate, Hypertension and Vascular Research Center "Job Details"
Winston-Salem, NC, United States
- Medical Center Blvd, Winston Salem, NC, 27157, US
09/01/2021, 10:40 PM
Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist is a preeminent academic health system based in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist’s two main components are an integrated clinical system – anchored by Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, an 885-bed tertiary-care hospital in Winston-Salem, Brenner Children’s Hospital, five community hospitals, more than 350 primary and specialty care locations and more than 2,500 physicians; and Wake Forest School of Medicine, a recognized leader in experiential medical education and groundbreaking research, including Wake Forest Innovations, a commercialization enterprise focused on advancing health care through new medical technologies and biomedical discovery.
If viewing this posting outside our network, please go to wakehealth.edu/careers and search for job by title.
Position is with the Hypertension and Vascular Research Center at Wake Forest School of Medicine, Winston-Salem, NC. We are looking for highly motivated candidates with excellent written and oral communication skills who are able to work independently. The project will investigate early stages of pregnancy focusing on trophoblast dysfunction and cardiovascular hemodynamics. The successful candidate should hold PhD or MD degree in a relevant field, and have extensive hands-on experience in rodent surgery, animal breeding, cell culture, molecular and biochemical assays.
Collects, enters and analyzes research data. Provides reports using computerized databases and information systems. Prepares reports from requests from the director, faculty, study sponsor, and outside collaborators. Designs, implements, and evaluates request using databases as information source.
Non-faculty full-time employee whose appointment is contingent upon extramural funding. With investigators, directs and coordinates various aspects of the study/project directed toward planning, implementation, evaluation and dissemination. Requires the use of judgment and discretion in performing the assigned duties and responsibilities related to the project. These actions establish precedents and direction for the project.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
PhD or MD with eight years of relevant research experience; or comparable graduate degree and experience. Two professional letters of recommendation required. Supervisory ability preferred.
SKILLS / QUALIFICATIONS
- Extensive hands-on experience in rodent surgery, animal breeding, cell culture, molecular and biochemical assays
- Demonstrates knowledge of scientific principles.
- Strong computer skills. Training in information systems technologies, desktop application, and databases required. Experience with analytical software and database analysis and reports preferred.
- Strong communication skills
- Public speaking experience
- Ability to prepare grant proposals with minimal supervision
- Peer-reviewed publications, plus oral or poster presentations at national meetings
- Serves in a leadership role with project Principal Investigator (PI) to plan and/or design study/project. Services in a lead role in translating planning and design decisions into concrete activities and tasks to be undertaken for project implementation.
- Maintains designated applications in research department databases.
- Creates new databases, prepares and runs data analysis queries, and uploads local database to the national database center.
- Uses existing database to create reports as requested.
- Performs data manipulation and migration. Reviews data quality reports for data submissions and errors.
- Ensures data requests are received, have authorizations, are evaluated, and reported. Prepares specifications and summary reports for data queries and requests.
- Performs chart abstraction.
- Compiles and prepares financial progress reports, scientific progress reports and evaluations.
- Works with project PI, or Co-PI, to plan and/or design study/project. Works with PI or Co-PI to translate planning and design decisions into concrete activities and tasks to be undertaken for project implementation.
- Translates study/project design into a budget. Develops, modifies, implements, and validates experimental procedures applicable to grants and projects.
- Oversees monitoring of the study budget. Troubleshoots specialized equipment and apparatus as required for the performance of research activities.
- Prepares grants and other funding proposals with limited supervision. Collects, analyzes, and presents data readily for publications.
- Compiles and writes scientific progress reports and evaluations. Assists in writing progress reports.
- Participates in negotiation of contracts and subcontracts.
- Assumes major responsibility for the successful and timely completion of tasks for all phases of study/project process.
- Ensures adequate staffing for all project(s). Recommends, plans for, and carries out the hiring or elimination of staff as needed. Coordinates training of new study personnel.
- Ensures that all aspects of the study/project are conducted in accordance with the study protocol and/or contract. Ensure that all legal aspects adhere to state and federal regulations and guidelines.
- If applicable, represents the project to all related community agencies and organizations, serving as the study’s liaison, spokesperson, and representative. Attends, participates in and takes the lead in planning national and local meetings related to the project at each stage. Attend and participate in national and local scientific meetings.
- Conducts site visits when appropriate (e.g. for multi-site studies).
- Reviews literature and writes summary of findings. Participates in the preparation of scientific papers for publication.
- Performs other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Clean, comfortable, office environment
Wake Forest Baptist Health and Atrium Health have joined forces in a strategic combination that will enhance care, transform medical education and create economic opportunity for countless lives in North Carolina and beyond. As a part of that combination, the two health systems will be integrating technology and platforms, including our career sites.
This means that although you are applying on the Wake Forest Baptist Health Career Site, you receive communications from the Atrium Health Recruitment Team. Please know that this is an expected process, and thanks in advance for your flexibility.
Wake Forest Baptist Health (www.WakeHealth.edu) is a nationally recognized academic health system in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, with an integrated enterprise including educational and research facilities, hospitals, clinics, diagnostic centers, and other primary and specialty care facilities serving 24 counties in northwest North Carolina and southwest Virginia.
It comprises: a regional clinical system with more than 300 locations, 2,100 physicians and 1,535 acute care beds; Wake Forest School of Medicine; and Wake Forest Innovations, which promotes the commercialization of research discoveries and operates Innovation Quarter, an urban research and business park specializing in biotechnology, materials science and information technology. Wake Forest Baptist’s clinical, research and educational programs are consistently ranked among the best in the country.
About the Team
Wake Forest Baptist Health's mission is to improve the health of our region, state and nation by:
- Generating and translating knowledge to prevent, diagnose and treat disease.
- Training leaders in health care and biomedical science.
- Serving as the premier health system in our region, with specific centers of excellence recognized as national and international care destination.
Wake Forest Baptist Health is a preeminent learning health system that promotes better health for all through collaboration, excellence and innovation.
- Demonstrate the highest standards of patient-centered care, education, research and operational effectiveness
- Responsive to the physical, emotional, spiritual and intellectual needs of all
- Cultivate selfless contribution for the greater good
- Demonstrate fairness, honesty, sincerity and accountability
- Demonstrate respect for and inclusion of all backgrounds, identities, experiences, and perspectives
- Foster mutual respect, facilitate professional growth and mentorship, and reward teamwork and collaboration
- Promote creativity to enhance discovery and the application of knowledge
- Embrace a culture of reliability through better process design and accountability
Patient and Family Promise
We promise to:
- Keep you safe.
- Care for you.
- Involve you and your family.
- Respect you and your time.