State City Organization
Let us find jobs for you based on your LinkedIn profile.
Security Officer (40hrs, Evening)
This close affiliation with BIDMC, since 2000, has facilitated the clinical integration of staff and resources in emergency medicine, hospital medicine (hospitalists), cardiology, radiology, orthopaedics, general surgery, pathology and oncology. Physicians in Needham maintain very close relationships with the staff at BIDMC; so in cases where patients need to be transferred from Needham to Boston for more advanced care, there are systems in place to make that transition happen quickly.Job Location: Needham, MA
Req ID: 39353BR
Job Summary: Under general supervision of the Lead Security Officer or the Director of Security and Safety, the Security Officer performs a variety of duties involving safety, security, emergency management, and related activities. Patrols buildings and grounds, monitors parking and traffic, responds to and investigates security incidents, and assists and interacts with patients, visitors and staff as appropriate. Greets and assists visitors, patients and others. Follows through with questions, requests, and concerns in a timely fashion. Helps the patients, employees and visitors obtain information they need. On occasion, acts as shuttle driver transporting employees to and from various satellite parking lots.
- Conducts preventative security and safety patrols throughout buildings and grounds.
- Participates in follow-up investigations.
- Provides security for the hospital's patients, visitors, staff and employees and safeguards the property by immediately responding to requests and emergency codes.
- Maintains alertness for unusual or abnormal conditions or suspicious activities.
- Observes unauthorized persons and takes appropriate action, notifies supervisor or police.
- Locks and unlocks doors following established procedures.
- Enforces parking for patients, staff and visitors according to parking policies.
- Investigates reports of leaks, broken windows or facility damage, etc. and informs Facilities Dept.
- Reports potential fire or safety hazards.
- Performs and participates in security, safety, and facilities inspections, fire watches, and alarm checks.
- High School diploma or GED required. Bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice preferred.
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- MA Driver's License and good driving record
- High School Degree/GED requirement may be waived with equivalent related work experience.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- 1-3 years Hospital or campus security, or law enforcement experience.
- MOAB training preferred.
- CPR Certification and First Aid Training preferred, or must complete within 30 days of hire.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Heavy work: Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or 50 pounds of force frequently. Work is physically demanding and requires extended periods of standing and/or moving.
Share this Job
Working at this Location
Check out where you could be working if you apply.
Actor John Krasinski spreads some good news at BIDMC
BIDMC Named Top 25 Hospitals in the Nation to Work For
BIDMC recognized as a leader in “LGBTQ Healthcare Equality”
How to Apply