Research Lab Tech II, Center for Precision Medicine "Job Details"
Winston-Salem, NC, United States
Laboratory / Animal Care
- Medical Center Blvd, Winston Salem, NC, 27157, US
10/05/2021, 07:17 AM
Under direct supervision, the candidate will perform duties specific to the processing of patient samples for the North Carolina CORVASEQ (CORonavirus VARiant SEQuencing) Surveillance Network. Duties will include coordinating the receipt of patient samples from clinical laboratories at Wake Forest Baptist and Atrium; assessment of the quality and integrity of research materials to include tissue samples, RNA/DNA preps, cDNA libraries and resulting data; performance of molecular and genetic laboratory techniques including RNA/DNA isolation and construction of cDNA libraries for sequencing; hands-on operation of laboratory instrumentation including next generation sequencers and nucleic acid quantitation devices; and ordering of laboratory supplies and reagents.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Chemistry, Zoology, or other related science or High school diploma with four years of related research experience.
SKILLS / QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience with RNA and DNA nucleic acid preparation and handling.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Ability to listen and communicate effectively
- Basic computer skills
- Knowledge of medical terminology to interact with medical staff regarding laboratory procedures and results
- Knowledge of medical equipment and instruments
- Knowledge of common safety hazards and universal precautions to establish a safe work environment
Dr. Kimberly Reeves, Contact PI for the Wake Forest Baptist Health Enrolling Site and Sequencing Center for the North Carolina CORVASEQ Surveillance Network Initiative
- Set up equipment/organize materials used in performing scheduled experiments.
- Select the appropriate experimental format from established standard formats and prepare simple charts, graphs, and reports from data obtained during research experiments.
- Review scientific journals, abstracts, and other publications for information applicable to research projects.
- Attend assigned training for sample extraction or equipment use. RNA extraction and handling skills will be crucial to assure data quality, sample viability and that every sequencing flow cell used (often totaling thousands of dollars per study) generate useful data.
- Maintain consistency from prep to prep in handling samples, running all standards and analyses necessary to assure the highest possible quality of data.
- Maintain facilities, equipment, and supplies; schedule and determine work priorities. Interact/collaborate with Principal Investigators and other personnel involved in the project, including those in clinical and research laboratories.
- Performs other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
- Research laboratory environment
- Frequent exposure to diseases, medicinal preparations and other conditions common in a lab environment
- Must wear protective equipment (gloves, gowns/lab coats, eye protection, face protection)
- Exposure to glass and other breakable objects
Wake Forest Baptist Health and Atrium Health have joined forces in a strategic combination that will enhance care, transform medical education and create economic opportunity for countless lives in North Carolina and beyond. As a part of that combination, the two health systems will be integrating technology and platforms, including our career sites.
This means that although you are applying on the Wake Forest Baptist Health Career Site, you receive communications from the Atrium Health Recruitment Team. Please know that this is an expected process, and thanks in advance for your flexibility.
Wake Forest Baptist Health (www.WakeHealth.edu) is a nationally recognized academic health system in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, with an integrated enterprise including educational and research facilities, hospitals, clinics, diagnostic centers, and other primary and specialty care facilities serving 24 counties in northwest North Carolina and southwest Virginia.
It comprises: a regional clinical system with more than 300 locations, 2,100 physicians and 1,535 acute care beds; Wake Forest School of Medicine; and Wake Forest Innovations, which promotes the commercialization of research discoveries and operates Innovation Quarter, an urban research and business park specializing in biotechnology, materials science and information technology. Wake Forest Baptist’s clinical, research and educational programs are consistently ranked among the best in the country.
About the Team
Wake Forest Baptist Health's mission is to improve the health of our region, state and nation by:
- Generating and translating knowledge to prevent, diagnose and treat disease.
- Training leaders in health care and biomedical science.
- Serving as the premier health system in our region, with specific centers of excellence recognized as national and international care destination.
Wake Forest Baptist Health is a preeminent learning health system that promotes better health for all through collaboration, excellence and innovation.
- Demonstrate the highest standards of patient-centered care, education, research and operational effectiveness
- Responsive to the physical, emotional, spiritual and intellectual needs of all
- Cultivate selfless contribution for the greater good
- Demonstrate fairness, honesty, sincerity and accountability
- Demonstrate respect for and inclusion of all backgrounds, identities, experiences, and perspectives
- Foster mutual respect, facilitate professional growth and mentorship, and reward teamwork and collaboration
- Promote creativity to enhance discovery and the application of knowledge
- Embrace a culture of reliability through better process design and accountability
Patient and Family Promise
We promise to:
- Keep you safe.
- Care for you.
- Involve you and your family.
- Respect you and your time.