State City Organization
Let us find jobs for you based on your LinkedIn profile.
Req ID: 36398BR
Job Summary: Under direction of the principal investigator, works independently performing a wide range of routine and specialized laboratory tests using molecular, cell biology and/or biochemistry techniques. Develops modifications of existing techniques, as appropriate. With advanced knowledge, responsible for a sophisticated level of problem solving, trouble shooting and analysis.
- Functions as a principal technical specialist for a research laboratory or for a specific research project. Functions as an internal consultant and as a resource to other labs both internally and externally. Performs and devises specialized tests and research procedures, troubleshooting problems of own and other researchers' results.
- Conducts broad range of experiments involving advanced technology. Participates in the design of experimental protocols to achieve the objective of the research project.
- May prioritize work and assign work to lower-level technical personnel. May instruct laboratory techniques and methodology to students and other research personnel. May be involved in complex data analysis and interpretation of results.
- Collaborates with supervisor in writing and editing materials for publication. May assist in preparing manuscripts and writing abstracts. May write portion(s) of grant application, e.g.: Materials and Methods, or Experimental Design.
- May present papers at society meetings. Attends conferences and courses, consults with other researchers and participates in professional activities to keep abreast of the latest technological developments as they relate to the research. Evaluates the applicability of these new developments and implements their use in collaboration with the principal collaborator.
- Bachelor's degree in Life Sciences or related field required. Master's degree preferred.
- 3-5 years related work experience required.
- Bachelor's degree and four years experience. Or, a Master's degree and two years experience.
- Advanced skills with Microsoft applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access and other web-based applications. May produce complex documents, perform analysis and maintain databases.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.
Share this Job
Working at this Location
Check out where you could be working if you apply.
Actor John Krasinski spreads some good news at BIDMC
BIDMC Named Top 25 Hospitals in the Nation to Work For
BIDMC recognized as a leader in “LGBTQ Healthcare Equality”
How to Apply