Release Info Tech 2
Job ID: 88356
Area of Interest: Clerical
Location: Linthicum,MD US
Hours of Work: M-F
Job Facility: University of Maryland Medical System
Employment Type: Not Indicated
What You Will Do:
Under general supervision, performs complex administrative duties including processing requests for Protected Health Information (PHI), responding to subpoenas, court orders and summons. Interact daily with a variety of external requestors by providing front-line customer service to attorneys, clinicians, patients, funeral homes and government agencies in person and by telephone. Responsible for accounts receivable as it relates to invoicing, posting and collections for the Release of Information division of the Health Information Management Department. This position demands an environment of exceptional confidentiality and strict adherence to and knowledge of regulatory requirements guided by state and federal laws. Also acts in the capacity of other non-professional positions within the department when needed.
II. Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
- Process requests for health information in compliance with applicable statutes, departmental policies, guidelines, state and federal regulatory requirements by using up to 14 different electronic document management and electronic medical record systems, and other electronic and paper documentation associated with each facility. Receive, review, and verify all incoming requests on a daily basis for health information to determine if the request has a complete and valid authorization. Stamp all incoming mail as well as enter requests in the computerized release of information tracking system the same day of receipt. Process requests for release of radiology images and uploads foreign images into the appropriate radiology system.
- Coordinate billing, posting and collection functions for the Release of Information area for medical records copied and released to external customers in compliance with applicable statutes, departmental policies, guidelines, state and federal regulatory requirements. Return incomplete and invalid requests for medical information the same day of receipt, routes requests for health information to special units and other departments daily, as necessary.
- Provide minimum necessary information on an as needed basis in response to requests for health information and document information sent according to proper protocol. Fax information requested for direct patient care and request medical information from other healthcare facilities as needed for continued patient care in urgent situations. Performs quality checks on all work to assure accuracy of the release and confidentiality
- Handles “walk-in” requests from the public and directs them appropriately. Ensure that attorneys, funeral home representatives and others are greeted with a high degree of professionalism and are given timely and accurate information or an appropriate response. Responsible for verifying the identity of requestors to ensure requests for PHI are only released to the proper individual. Must be able to handle volatile situations with confidence and authority.
- Respond to any legal actions involving the hospital’s medical record by: processing subpoenas and court orders within required time frames; working directly with Risk Management, referring potential hospital litigation; maintaining access control to all sequestered medical records.
- Complete and submit productivity reports to the ROI Manager on a daily basis, and performs other duties as assigned.
What You Need to Be Successful:
Education and Experience
- High school graduate or equivalent required. Graduate of an accredited Health Record Technician program with RHIT preferred.
- Minimum of two years’ experience in a Health Information Management Department, and one year performing release of information required.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW