Job ID: 85403
Area of Interest: Management
Location: Cheverly,MD US
Hours of Work: 11:00am – 7:30pm
Job Facility: University of Maryland Capital Region
Employment Type: Part Time
What You Will Do:POSITION SUMMARY
Under the direction of the Director, Access Managementresponsible for managing, planning and coordination of all daily activities for assigned area of the Department. Participates in the execution and long-term strategic delivery plans pertaining to cost, quality and service of the department. Performs job duties of Patient Access Representatives as needed.
The following job description covers the most significant duties performed, but does not exclude other work assignments not mentionedPRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Recommends and participates in planning and implementation of all projects impacting the delivery of daily operations of the Department under the direction of the Director.
- Manages the day-to day activities for assigned area.
- Establishes and monitors accountabilities and performance goals within the department using a variety of coaching, counseling, training and development of leadership skills. Consistently works toward building a cohesive team with focused interactions.
- Monitors Department’s finances that contribute to the overall budget.
- Prepares and monitors payroll, non-payroll, and capital budgets; makes recommendations to Director.
- Monitors key performance indicators, identify trends and issues; recommends, manages and supports improvement programs with review and approval by Director.
- Ensures departmental policy and procedure manual is maintained and updated appropriately. Develops new procedures as appropriate under the direction of Director.
- Provides analytical support to establish and monitor cost, quality, and service indicators.
- Participates on hospital and system committees and service teams.
- Develops and collaborates with Human Resources in the interviewing, hiring, coaching, counseling, development, termination, training, scheduling, and performance assessment of staff.
- Assists in the development of, and ensures implementation of quality control standards. Oversees record keeping which documents compliance with Health Plan, state, and federal standards.
- Reviews staffing needs on a regular basis. Assists in the projection of future needs, taking into consideration productivity, utilization, operating costs, and budgetary data as requested.
- Orders supplies, ensuring adequate levels are maintained in the facility. Contacts appropriate technical representatives to arrange for necessary equipment maintenance and repair, and new purchases.
- Performs job duties of Patient Access Representative as required.
- Greets customers in courteous, friendly, respectful and professional manner at all times, including maintaining eye contact when appropriate.
- Follows communication protocols to both internal and external customers, including introducing him/herself with job title and experience, asking open ended questions, such as “How may I be of help to you?” using the customer’s name as soon as it is learned.
- Responds promptly and appropriately to customer questions/concerns/complaints and attempts immediate resolution.
- Keeps customer’s information confidential, including public places such as elevators or the cafeteria.
- Provides assistance and offers help immediately, including finding someone else to meet the request, if unable to do so him/herself. Introduce other staff to customers when a hand-off occurs and explain that the person will provide excellent service.
- Demonstrates commitment to excellent service recovery when a customer’s expectations have not been met.
- Offers assistance to colleagues and other departments when needed.
- Takes responsibility for solving problems regardless of origin; completes assignments, and respects deadlines.
- Resolves conflict directly with colleagues and seeks assistance from others if the issue cannot be resolved. Refrains from criticism in public.
- Mindful and respectful of others’ time and schedules. Attends meetings on time and communicates any absences.
- Provides co-workers with a status report for continuity of workflow when planning to be out of the office, off the unit, or away from the department
- Respectful, courteous and professional in all forms of communication and follows facility’s service communication protocol in all interactions.
- Refrains from use of personal cell phone in patient care areas and keeps usage to a minimum at all other times while on duty.
- Does not text or use e-mail during meetings (except for exigent or emergency situations).
- Limits use of business cell phone during meetings (remain on vibrate and/or calls go to voicemail).
- Makes every effort to answer telephone calls within three rings, introducing him/herself, department and title (if appropriate). Asks permission before placing the caller on hold or using the speakerphone. If caller is transferred, gives the caller the extension number of the person he or she is being transferred to. Offers further assistance to the caller upon completing the conversation.
- Maintains an appropriate voicemail message and when away from the office has an out-of-office email message that is brief, current, and includes name and department and offers the caller options if possible.
- Returns email and voicemail messages promptly but no later than within one business day (24 hours).
- Always mindful of voice and language in public.
- Reports to work appropriately groomed and in compliance with the Hospital’s dress code. Wears identification badge at all times at chest level and facing outwards so identification is clearly visible.
- Complete all assignments within deadlines or negotiates alternative actions and time frames in order to achieve desired outcomes.
- Completes mandatory, annual education and competency requirements.
- Follows UMCAP safety, infection control and employee health standards.
- Demonstrates responsibility for personal growth, development and professional knowledge and competency.
- Adhere to all UMCAP and department policies and procedures, including Code of Conduct and professional behavior standards. Does not exceed Hospital guidelines in reference to attendance, punctuality, and use of sick and unplanned absences. Provides notification of absences, lateness and vacation requests according to department guidelines. Respects length of time for lunch and break times.
- Reviews, signs, and adheres to UMCAP and/or departmental confidentiality statement.
Commitment to Co-Workers:
For Supervisory Positions Only:
This position supervises jobs that are (check all that apply):
Service Admin. Support Technical Professional
Supervisory Management Sr. Management
Supervisory responsibilities typically include (check all that apply):
Evaluating Job Performance Disciplining/terminating Scheduling – Work/Time Off
Recommending Salary Actions Interviewing/Hiring Coaching/Mentoring
Directing/Assigning/Reviewing Work Training/Developing Promoting
Approximate Number of Employees Supervised:
Exempt (Salaried): &…
What You Need to Be Successful:
Required: Certified by the National Association of Healthcare Access Management (NAHAM) as a Certified Healthcare Access Associate (CHAA).
Life Support Certification: (Check all that apply)
Basic Life Support – Health Care Provider (BLS-HCP) Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP)
Education/Knowledge (see attached explanation sheet)
Completed Course Work/Program:
Experience (years): Required: Preferred:
Experience (describe required & preferred): Minimum of 3 years in Patient Access within a hospital environment with at least one year in a lead position.
Microsoft Office Suite Skill Level (see attached explanation sheet)
Working knowledge of ICD-9 (Medical Coding)
Basic knowledge and working experience with Medical Terminology
Standard Office Equipment (list):
Medical Equipment (list):
Communication Skills & Abilities
Select highest applicable level:
Bilingual: Required Preferred Language:
Problem Solving/Analytical Skills & Abilities (see attached explanation sheet):
Level of Supervision Required
Contacts Inside & Outside Facility/Corporation (see attached explanation sheet)
Transportation (Work-related) (see attached explanation sheet)
Business Travel Outside of Region
Working Conditions (Check all that apply):
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
- Follow us on