Psychiatric Technician/Nursing Assistant
Inpatient Behavioral Health | High Point Medical Center
Schedule: Varies with PRN hours (day, night, weekends)
Hours: PRN, minimum of 24 hours per 6-week schedule block
The Mental Health Technician I provides patient care to psychiatric patients as directed by a Registered Nurse and according to the plan established by the treatment team for the Adult Safety Unit. Develops therapeutic relationships with patients and family members through participation in department and team treatment programs. Provides direct and indirect care to psychiatric patients across the life span.
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma Required.
- 6 months experience work in behavioral health, preferred.
Licensure, Certification and/or Registration:
- Must have current Nurse Assistant I Certification.
- Current BLS for healthcare providers required.
- Management of Aggressive Behavior (MOAB) for physical restraint within 90 days of hire
- Collaborates with Registered Nurse to plan and initiate appropriate interventions consistent with policies and procedures. Assists Registered Nurse and Treatment team with Milieu Management by managing supplies in line with guidelines to meet patient needs and budgetary constraints.
- Collects and communicates physical and psychosocial data about health status of patient/family in a systematic and continuous manner. Includes patient and family in this process. Observes and reports symptoms, behaviors, and changes in patient's condition in a timely manner. Initiates one-to-one interactions with patients according to the milieu program.
- Participates in department treatment program as follows: uses creativity to determine therapeutic interventions that will result in maximal patient outcome. Carries out therapeutic interventions that are for specific patient needs. Communicates barriers with team. Collaborate with patients and the treatment team to optimize activities and patient schedule. Supports safe, appropriate, effective and efficient patient care by providing accurate, thorough and timely documentation that consistently meets departmental requirements.
- Demonstrates knowledge of standards of care practice. Incorporates these into practice and holds self and others accountable for practicing according to these standards. Consistently performs safety checks correctly with accurate documentation. Performs environmental rounds as required on each shift, with appropriate follow-up to RN and appropriate documentation.
- Serves as an adult role model for all patients and peers. Advocates for patient needs. Assists with milieu management of department. Facilitates patient educational groups.
- Assists with orientation and training of new staff, demonstrates an ongoing commitment to improve the performance and skill of co-workers. Serves as a preceptor to new employees on a routine basis. Demonstrates competencies of the preceptor/resource role. Formulates recommendations to improve individual performance. Facilitates constructive feedback regarding own performance. Actively participates in department/hospital committee/taskforce. Actively participates in department/hospital committee/taskforce. Participates in ongoing revision and development of department policies, procedures, guidelines, and program groups to maintain/improve quality. Consistently utilizes non-patient care time by offering assistance to team.
- Ability to evaluate and appropriately respond to verbal and nonverbal communication from psychiatric patients across the life span
- Demonstrates ability to escort psychiatric patients off unit
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills
- Solid computer skills to utilize electronic medical record in a time efficient manner
- Good organization skills, ability to multi-task and prioritize
- Knowledge of concepts, procedures and techniques
- Team building and problem solving skills
- Critical thinking and decision making skills. Ability to work in stressful situations. High level manual dexterity required
- Contact with patients under wide variety of circumstances
- May have to physically constrain/restrain agitated patients
- Exposure to infection disease-bearing specimens
- Possible exposure to infections and contagious diseases
- Exposure to the risk of blood borne diseases
- Occasional exposure to radiation hazards
- Exposure to housekeeping/cleaning agents/chemicals
- Subject to many interruptions
- Occasionally subject to irregular hours
0% 35% 65%
to to to
35% 65% 100% N/A Activity
X Reaching with arms
X Finger and hand dexterity
Lifting, carrying, pushing and or pulling:
X 20 lbs. maximum
X 50 lbs. maximum
X 100 lbs. maximum
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply Now" button on this page. You must complete the application process and then submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button located at the bottom of the page titled "Submit Online Application". You will receive the following message once you hit the submit button: "You have successfully submitted your job application".
Computers are available for applying within the lobby of the Human Resources Department located at 1920 West First Street, (on the corner of Miller and First Street) Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27104. You may also call our office for assistance at (336) 716-6464. Office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact our Supervisor of Office Services by phone (336) 716-3367 or email at email@example.com.
It is the policy of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center to administer all educational and employment activities without discrimination because of race, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status (except where sex is a bona fide occupational qualification or a statutory requirement) in accordance with all local, state, national laws, executive orders, regulations, and guidelines.