Project Manager Research Revenue Integrity
Job ID: 85985
Area of Interest: Professionals
Location: Linthicum,MD US
Hours of Work: M-F, 8a-5p
Job Facility: University of Maryland Medical System
Employment Type: Full Time
What You Will Do:
Under limited supervision, provides support for the development, implementation and maintenance of a Research billing, collection, and compliance process for the University of Maryland Medical System (UMMS). Provides day-to-day oversight, administration, implementation and management of policies and procedures related to Research billing and collections to assure compliance with local and federal regulations. Demonstrates leadership and commitment to organizational performance and service excellence to achieve organizational Research charge capture goals. Participates in multidisciplinary collaborative efforts with the various UMMS functions, including clinical operations, financial management, and nursing, as well as with functions outside the Medical System, including faculty at the University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) School of Medicine and Sponsors.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. These are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Responsible for the coordination of a comprehensive Research billing, collection program including all Epic research billing compliance activities. This includes the evaluation of current and proposed goals and objectives, the evaluation of alternate courses of action, implementation strategy and communications in accordance with the Medical System’s mission, vision and values for corporate growth and structure.
A. Responsible for developing detailed program plans related to individual UMMS departments that support identified priority initiatives that focus on achievement of specified implementation deadlines. This includes coordination with the hospital’s clinical operations and patient care services staff, hospital finance, hospital ITG and departmental clinicians and staff.
B. Assists in the definition and development of policies and procedures related to each operational process defined in the Research billing program.
2. Communicates with senior administration, academic leadership of UMB, UMMS clinical staff, hospital finance, hospital ITG and hospital patient financial services on matters relating to the development and implementation of the Research billing, collections and compliance program.
A. Assures that Research-related policies and procedures are oriented towards the needs and expectations of key users/customers as a result of data collection efforts, ongoing assessment of program plan effectiveness, and ongoing interdisciplinary representation in the planning and implementation processes.
B. Demonstrates personal and professional leadership within the Medical System, UMB, and among healthcare and business colleagues.
C. Serves as a central resource and provides expertise regarding clinical research regulatory compliance to institutional leaders, research investigators and key research personnel regarding federal, sponsor, and local requirements for conducting research with human subjects.
3. Performs internal Research Revenue Integrity audits, both routine and for-cause, of clinical research and regulatory activities to assess compliance with federal, state, and local laws governing clinical research, ICH Good Clinical Practice (GCP), clinical trial protocol, sponsor policies, conditions of Institutional Review Boards (IRB) and Ethics Committees, institutional policies and standard operating procedures (SOPs).
A. Reports audit findings, including identification of areas of non-compliance, and devises plans to bring team into compliance.
4. Develops research billing compliance training materials, including tip sheets and power point presentations, for UMMS and UMB stakeholders and Research Revenue Integrity team.
A. Presents training materials to UMMS and UMB stakeholders and Research Revenue Integrity team to ensure research billing compliance.
5. Performs comprehensive and independent review of all documents related to research study funding, including the research study budget, protocol, contract, informed consent, and other supporting core documents in order to create coverage analyses.
6. Responsible for day-to-day management of the coverage analysis process. Ensures UMMS timelines are met and communicates delays to appropriate departments.
7. Assists Research leadership with oversight of the clinical trial analysts, including onboarding training.
8. Performs related duties as required.
What You Need to Be Successful:
Education and Experience
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university in Accounting, Finance, Health Care Administration or other related field is required.
2. A minimum of seven (7) years progressively responsible professional financial analysis experience, or equivalent, is required.
3. A minimum of two years progressively responsible coverage analysis, charge segregation, and project management experience is required.
4. A minimum of two years of experience with industry sponsored, federally sponsored and investigator initiated clinical research is required.
5. Certification in Epic Research Billing Module preferred.
6. Certification in Healthcare Research Compliance (CHRC) preferred.
7. Proficient in OnCore Financial Module preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
8. Must have strong knowledge of Medicare, HSCRC and Joint Commission regulations, knowledge of hospital business processes and functions.
9. Knowledge of Good Clinical Practice (GCP) and federal regulations related to human subject research.
10. Attends and participates in in-services training and various educational programs for professional growth and development. Keeps abreast of developments in hospital administration. Responsible for continual self-development and education.
11. Has proven strong organizational skills with meticulous attention to detail, is results-oriented, requires hands-on administrative experience. Position required analytical, negotiation, presentation and leadership skills.
12. Proficiency and demonstrated effectiveness in problem-solving and implementing new programs related to increased departmental operating efficiency regarding Research services provided in the hospital.
13. Ability to oversee, schedule, coordinate and direct project activities, assign work, monitor work and evaluate performance.
14. Highly effective verbal and written communication skills are necessary to work with medical and senior nursing staff, Operations Administration, other administration/senior management, hospital personnel, and University Of Maryland Baltimore personnel. Effective writing skills are also required to maintain necessary project records.
15. Experience supervising, monitoring daily work activities, evaluating, training and motivating the performance of subordinate technical, professional and clerical support staff.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
- Follow us on