State City Organization
Let us find jobs for you based on your LinkedIn profile.
Practice Assistant II
Req ID: 38023BR
Job Summary: Position Summary:
Reports to (one of the following): Practice Manager or Ambulatory Practice Coordinator with input from assigned physician, nurses or other health care providers. Responsible for delivering the highest quality service to patients while contributing to the smooth functioning of practice operations.
Department Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Coordinates and overseas Patient Experience workflows and implementations within the practice.
- Partners with Practice Manager to target and implement process improvements and ensure staff adherence to workflows.
- Works closely with practice care team, Practice Manager, Medical Director, and regional leadership to provide support to meet Service Excellence goals.
- Coordinates, investigates and facilitates resolution of patient complaints or grievances concerning the quality of care and services. Works with Practice Manager and Patient Relations to resolve patient complaints. Creates and maintains the patient complaint database.
- Oversees all practice based insurance related issues and workflows. This includes insurance eligibility, patient outreach, outstanding balance collection, claim and coding request changes and resolves all billing related issues.
- Provides coaching and support to meet practice and organizational patient experience goals. Trains new employees on Patient Experience workflows.
- Greets patients and visitors in a manner that demonstrates courtesy, service, respect and privacy. Serves as a central communication source in the delivery of patient care by being responsive, accessible and visible. Provides accurate information, directions and/or guidance and follows up promptly to ensure that needs have been met.
- Performs check in, registration, scheduling, verification of demographic information and fiscal data utilizing a computer system. Collects co-payments following standards for co-payment processing. Schedules, reschedules and cancels appointments making every effort to accommodate patient and provider needs. Obtains and enters referrals.
- Monitors and supports patients and visitors entering and leaving the practice. Facilitates timely flow and proactively solves flow issues (i.e., early or late patient, late provider, etc.). Acts as liaison between patient and practice staff to ensure optimal flow and service delivery. Acts as liaison between patient and other areas to ensure optimal flow and service delivery.
- Other responsibilities will vary by practice and may include, but are not limited to: Check out, Schedules necessary follow up appointments. Provides patient with any relevant educational materials as indicated, visit ticket entry, medical records preparation.
- Level II responsibilities include: Facilitate billing functions. Research and follow through on a wide variety of information requests. May act as a group leader in absence of Manager. Act as a department resource to others for information and training. Facilitate problem solving, providing appropriate direction. May participate in small projects under the direction of Manager or designee.
- Participates in practice improvement initiatives.
- Practice Assts will ensure that PHI (Patient Health Information) will only be used for the purposes of
patient TPO (treatment, payment and operations). APG patient personal health information is only shared
with individuals who are actively managing the patient's care. NO other parties are entitled to receive,
discuss a patient's personal health information without the patient's permission.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Certificate 1 Medical Admin Assistant Cert preferred.
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- 1-3 years experience in a healthcare or service/hospitality environment.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to read, and write in English in order to understand basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively with patients, families and other medical center staff; and respond to basic questions.
- Oral Communications: Ability to understand spoken English in order to follow basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively in basic English with patients, families and medical center staff in response to routine questions.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate basic knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures with the ability to use them in routine situations. Specialized knowledge not required.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus
Share this Job
Working at this Location
Check out where you could be working if you apply.
Actor John Krasinski spreads some good news at BIDMC
BIDMC Named Top 25 Hospitals in the Nation to Work For
BIDMC recognized as a leader in “LGBTQ Healthcare Equality”
How to Apply