State City Organization
Let us find jobs for you based on your LinkedIn profile.
Req ID: 38672BR
Job Summary: Reporting directly to the Public Safety Director, the Lieutenant is responsible for leading and supervising the department of public safety through planning, organizing, supplying and deployment of personnel in a manner that enhances the safety and security environment for patients, visitors and staff.
- Supervisory responsibility for operational and administrative performance of police and security officers deployed in a fast paced urban medical center environment.
- Promote effective security and community policing strategies to enhance the safety and service experience of employees, patients and visitors.
- Utilize performance data toward improvement in key areas of dispatch, patrol, security technology, investigation, training and budget .
- Serve as a knowledgeable and responsive source of information for members of medical centers' diverse community.
- Provide leadership during major events or emergencies and represent the department at routine meetings, functions and during the director's absence.
- Administration of all public safety personnel involving recruitment, hiring, assignment, scheduling and payroll.
- Prepare and submit reports to state agencies and medical center oversight committees.
- Develop effective relationships with Longwood Academic and Medical Center area security departments and government public safety agencies.
- Maintain high employee performance standards through; training, certification, supervision, positive reinforcement, progressive discipline and annual reviews.
- Has the authority to direct and support employees daily work activities. Has the direct responsibility to undertake the following employment actions: hiring, termination, corrective action and performance reviews. Direct Reports: 2-3 Indirect Reports: 21-50
- Assists in planning, monitoring and/or managing budget in functional area of department.
- High School diploma or GED required. Bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice preferred.
- License MA ClassA Lrg capacity firearm required.
- 3-5 years related work experience required and 3-5 years supervisory/management experience required
- Valid Mass. drivers license required. Regularly meet BIDMC firearms qualification and police/BIDMC training standards required. Meet and maintain qualification standards set by State/Federal Govt, necessary for approval to access CJIS terminal points.
- Meet and maintain qualifications standards set by the Mass. State Police and Suffolk County Sheriff Department for appointment as a Special State Police Officer and a Suffolk County Deputy Sheriff required. Includes meeting and maintaining medical/physical and psychological standards suitable for a police officer.
- Pass investigative background check for suitability for this position which meets BIDMC, State and Federal regulatory policies and/or standards.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions with significant, broad implications for the management and operations of a major department or multiple departments. Participates in decisions on overall strategy and direction of the organization.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are broad, complex and abstract, often involving Medical Center-wide issues and requiring substantial creativity, resourcefulness, staff engagement, Lean diagnostic techniques, negotiation and diplomacy to develop solutions.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set goals and priorities for functional area. May make recommendations for department policies, practices and programs. Manager or Director provides broad guidance and overall direction.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate complex information in English effectively in writing to all levels of staff, management and external customers across functional areas.
- Oral Communications: Ability to verbally communicate complex concepts in English and address sensitive situations, resolve conflicts, negotiate, motivate and persuade others.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to lead collaborative teams for larger projects or groups both internal and external to the Medical Center and across functional areas. Results have implications for the management and operations of multiple areas of the organization.
- Customer Service: Ability to lead operational initiatives to meet or exceed customer service standards and expectations in assigned unit(s) and/or across multiple areas in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.
Share this Job
Working at this Location
Check out where you could be working if you apply.
Your Saved Jobs
You have not saved any jobs yet.
Sign up for our Talent Community and receive Job Alerts
Actor John Krasinski spreads some good news at BIDMC
BIDMC Named Top 25 Hospitals in the Nation to Work For
BIDMC recognized as a leader in “LGBTQ Healthcare Equality”
How to Apply