Pharmacy Technician – Senior (Inpatient) – Full-time – Nights – 7 days on 7 days off, Thursday thru Wednesday
Category: Allied Health
Facility: Anne Arundel Medical Center
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posted Date: January 11, 2022
Under the direct supervision of a Maryland-licensed pharmacist and in coordination with other technicians, the Senior Pharmacy Technician demonstrates mastery of medication distribution and support activities within the Pharmacy Department and throughout the hospital organization, customer service, and quality improvement. He/she trains new staff and exemplifies excellence in the timely preparation, packaging, distribution and delivery of medications, as well as provides oversight of supportive operations and resources. The Senior Pharmacy Technician functions in accordance with standard written procedures, guidelines and state and federal regulations. A minimum of one major project is undertaken each year that benefits an area of department interest or responsibility.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Accurately and efficiently performs drug distribution, medication preparation/compounding, dose calculation, and quality assurance/improvement tasks in accordance with established Departmental procedures. Incorporates practice modifications required by patient age group.
- Maintains extensive knowledge and understanding of the AAMC Department of Pharmacy processes, policies and procedures including, but not limited to, timely preparation of medications for pharmacist check, workflow SOPs, use of appropriate medical terms and abbreviations, patient confidentiality, and punctuality and attendance requirements.
- Delivers medications to appropriate locations manually, via pneumatic tube, or by refilling automated dispensing cabinets. Monitors medication storage environments outside the pharmacy for appropriate conditions and regulatory compliance. Assists with unit inspections when designated. Participates in all facets of the emergency drug supply system and specialty tray maintenance.
- Complies with Federal, State and Department policies for controlled substance distribution and management. Follows all procedures for utilizing Secure-Send function of the pneumatic tube system, completes self-audit reports with follow-up, and correctly maintains all controlled substance counts, receiving documentation, and paperwork.
- Answers phone calls and responds to med messages courteously, follows up appropriately, and maintains a professional demeanor at all times when interacting with patients, coworkers, or other members of the healthcare team.
- Complies with USP797 and 800 guidelines for cleanroom maintenance, education, testing, record-keeping, compounding of sterile products, and ordering of supplies. Shows advanced ability to perform required mathematical calculations and conversions.
- Understands and effectively supports the inventory management and drug distribution technology employed by the Pharmacy. Minimizes drug waste. Identifies cost-saving opportunities. Communicates medication needs or observed changes in utilization patterns to those in authority. Generates and accurately interprets reports from the primary hospital information system and other computer-based technology.
- Demonstrates thorough understanding of unit dose repackaging systems, complies with department guidelines for recordkeeping, maintenance of packaging equipment, and procedures for determining the appropriate method for repackaging hazardous drugs.
- Participates in the orientation and training of new pharmacy staff, acting as a coach and mentor, and serving as a role model. Provides clear and accurate instructions, demonstrates the required scope of activities, and reviews the new employee’s/or trainee’s work for accuracy, following all department guidelines. Acts as a resource and source of support for co-workers.
- Identifies and/or is involved with opportunities for improvement of key Hospital/Departmental initiatives, contributing to completing at least one specific major project each year.
The minimum level of education and experience for this position includes:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Pharmacy experience in hospital or retail setting preferred.
- Comprehensive demonstrated high performance in parameters of Pharmacy Technician job description.
- Current registration as a Pharmacy Technician or Pharmacy Intern from the Maryland Board of Pharmacy; in good standing.
- PTCB Certified or ExCPT (National Pharmacy Technician Board Certification).
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands – Medium
Medium work. Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.
First step is to join our talent community for the latest news.
Create your talent profile to receive customized job alerts and the latest company information.
Current employees should click on the button to search jobs, login and manage job agents, check application status, and more.
Important Information about CPR (BLS) requirements for Luminis Health. (Note: this downloads a word document)