State City Organization
Let us find jobs for you based on your LinkedIn profile.
Pharmacy Technician (32hrs)
This close affiliation with BIDMC, since 2000, has facilitated the clinical integration of staff and resources in emergency medicine, hospital medicine (hospitalists), cardiology, radiology, orthopaedics, general surgery, pathology and oncology. Physicians in Needham maintain very close relationships with the staff at BIDMC; so in cases where patients need to be transferred from Needham to Boston for more advanced care, there are systems in place to make that transition happen quickly.Job Location: Needham, MA
Req ID: 39203BR
Job Summary: Supports the mission of the department by ensuing that the right patients receive the right medication in a safe and timely manner under the direct supervision of an inpatient pharmacist. Develops a full understanding of the drug distribution system and demonstrates competency
in carrying out all duties associated with delivering medications to the patient care units. The Pharmacy Technician will collect accurate medication reconciliations for emergency department patients identified for inpatient admission. To support outpatient clinics, the Pharmacy Technician will complete and submit Prior Authorization/Tier Exceptions and Patient Assistance Foundation requests.
- Delivers medication to the patient care units in accordance with departmental policies and procedures, and MA Board of pharmacy regulation
- Accurately fills medications from the list provided by the automated dispensing machine.
- Delivers medications to the automated dispensing machines on the patient care units in an accurate and timely manner, including checking for errors such as expiration dates and wrong strengths.
- In conjunction with other pharmacy colleagues ensures that all drug distribution functions are completed in a safe and timely manner. Informs pharmacist and/or Director of Pharmacy of any workflow issues.
- Assists in maintaining appropriate inventory levels, including rotating stock, checking for expired medications and informing pharmacist when inventory levels are low. Is also responsible for checking in wholesaler order, and placing in inventory (except controlled substances). Updates drug prices as needed.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- MA Registered Pharmacy Technician with National Certification; or a MA Registered Pharmacy Intern
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Accurate math skills required.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Previous hospital pharmacy experience and sterile compounding experience.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Age based Competencies:
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Neonatal:Birth to 6 months, Youth: 6 months to 16 years, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.
Share this Job
Working at this Location
Check out where you could be working if you apply.
Actor John Krasinski spreads some good news at BIDMC
BIDMC Named Top 25 Hospitals in the Nation to Work For
BIDMC recognized as a leader in “LGBTQ Healthcare Equality”
How to Apply