Periop Surgical Support Technician
Job ID: 84792
Area of Interest: Nursing Support
Location: Baltimore,MD US
Hours of Work: 1045-1915
Job Facility: University of Maryland Medical Center
Employment Type: Full Time
What You Will Do:
Periop Surgical Support Technician
Full-Time – Rotating
Under direct supervision of a perioperative nursing, performs delegated functions including those of an Operating Room Assistant. Fulfillment of the job duties requires the employee to have access to medication storage areas.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
- Establishes and maintains courteous and effective relationships with patients, visitors, co-workers, and other members of the health care team; demonstrates sensitivity and awareness to the needs of patients, visitors and co-workers and responds promptly to verbal and/or written instructions.
- Transfers patient from bed, chair, wheelchair, OR table, or stretcher with devices in “locked” position.
- Uses appropriate body mechanics in moving, lifting and transporting surgical equipment and instrumentation.
- Transports surgical patients from same day surgery and units to the OR, PACU.
- Transports surgical instruments to the Instrument Room. Pulls for surgical case including instruments and supplies utilizing the appropriate preference lists and pick tickets.
- Assists in arranging the OR suite for surgery. Assists in the transfer of patients from stretcher to the operating room (OR) table. Under the direction of the circulating nurse, sets up equipment and supplies appropriate for the surgical procedure.
- Maintains cleanliness in assigned areas which includes operating room suites and sub-sterile areas, and other specified locations.
- Follows infection control policies and implements categories of isolation per departmental standard precautions and expanded precautions (i.e. contact, droplet, airborne).
- Applies aseptic technique when carrying out procedures or following unit protocols that require sterile conditions.
- Follows Hazardous waste precautions.
- As appropriate, and within confines of training, initiates CPR procedure. Attends all mandatory hospital in-services including CPR training.
- Functions in the role of surgical support technologist using standards and recommendations as outlined by UMMC Perioperative Services.
- Demonstrates aseptic technique using the standard Universal precautions. Maintains a sterile environment in accordance with aseptic techniques.
- Maintains patient safety during positioning including the lithotomy position, the prone position, and the lateral position.
- Anticipates equipment conflicts; respond to urgent and emergent needs with alternative solution to ensure surgical team and circulator supported throughout the case.
- Identifies Personal Protective Equipment and its indicated uses. Must wear appropriate surgical attire according to policy in (and out) of the surgical environment (i.e. hat, shoe covers, scrubs, etc.).
- Transports and receive specimens to/from the Laboratory department as needed (i.e. blood and pathology samples).
- Facilitates the transport and storage of sterile supplies, intravenous and irrigation fluids within the perioperative environment.
- Assists in the OR suite during various preparatory procedures (i.e. holding various limbs during prepping process).
- Assists staff in moving equipment and returning equipment to proper area of storage.
Come elevate your skills and experience by working with a world class 800-bed, Magnet designated Academic Medical Center.
We are looking for talented professionals to join our team at the University of Maryland Medical Center.
As a Team Member at UMMC, you’ll experience:
- A supportive and collaborative work environment
- A comprehensive benefits package including health, vision and dental coverage including prescription drug coverage, Tax-Free Savings Plans and more!
- A highly competitive wage scale: Annual merit increases and a base wage scale that is measured against to market standards.
- Generous tuition reimbursement of up to $5,000 per year for your graduate degree.
Located in downtown Baltimore near the Inner Harbor and Camden Yards, you won’t find a more vibrant place to work!
What You Need to Be Successful:
- High School Diploma or equivalent (GED) is required.
- One year of previous experience as an Operating Room Assistant, or competent job performance in a role of hospital support services, is preferred.
- American Heart Association BLS CPR certification required.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
- Follow us on