State City Organization
Let us find jobs for you based on your LinkedIn profile.
Job Location: Woburn, MA
Req ID: 38323BR
Job Summary: The Payroll Manager for the Harvard Medical Faculty Physicians and its subsidiaries has a matrix reporting relationship to the Chief Financial Officer and Vice President of Finance (or designee) and the Chief Human Resources Officer. The Payroll Manager is a strategic and tactical leader that has responsibility for oversight and management of the payroll cycle. This role manages and coordinates the payroll function for over 1,500 employees that service all faculty, certain administrative and executive staff, leased physician employees, as well as per diem employees. The role is responsible for the management of payroll administration on a daily basis, ensuring all processes are executed timely and in accordance with all applicable State and Federal laws and IRS regulations. The position is also responsible for developing, implementing and monitoring HMFP's corporate policies and procedures. The Payroll Manager serves as a liaison between third party vendors, department leadership and physicians and staff across the organization. The position plays an active role in process improvement initiatives, including but not limited to payroll system implementations and upgrades.
- Responsible for the administration of payroll related activities in a rapidly changing internal environment. Serves as an effective partner and liaison with both internal/external stakeholders for all payroll related activities.
- Oversees the supervision of staff, which includes work allocation, training, and problem resolution; evaluates performance and makes recommendations for personnel actions; manages and develops the team members to ensure high quality service is provided to all physicians and staff across HMFP and APHMFP.
- Directs and coordinates the flow of the payroll function including ongoing process improvement assessments. Works with various internal and external team members to provide guidance and feedback on payroll processes.
- Ensures compliance with HMFP payroll policies and procedures, as well as all applicable State/Federal laws and IRS regulations.
- Responsible for the administration of the payroll transactions that are timely and in accordance with all applicable State/Federal laws and IRS regulations through the management of: all payroll and benefit transactions, production of a biweekly payroll, working with payroll vendor, HR, Finance, etc. A list of detailed expectations will be provided.
- Has the authority to direct and support managers with functional area responsibilities. Has the direct responsibility to undertake the following employment actions: hiring, termination, corrective action and performance reviews. Direct Reports: 2-3 Indirect Reports: None
- High School diploma or GED required. Bachelor's degree preferred.
- 8-10 years related work experience required and 1-3 years supervisory/management experience required
- CPP Certified Payroll Professional certification within one year of hire.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of accounting and the general ledger needed. Must have demonstrated experience developing and complying with internal controls. Previous experience with multiple payroll vendors and leading system implementations and upgrades is necessary.
- Strong proficiency in research, reporting and analytics. Demonstrated ability to effectively translate plans into tangible and achievable goals.
- Advanced skills with Microsoft applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access and other web-based applications. May produce complex documents, perform analysis and maintain databases.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions with significant, broad implications for the management and operations of a major department or multiple departments. Participates in decisions on overall strategy and direction of the organization.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are highly varied, complex and often non-recurring, requiring staff input, innovative, creative, and Lean diagnostic techniques to resolve issues.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set goals and priorities for functional area. May make recommendations for department policies, practices and programs. Manager or Director provides broad guidance and overall direction.
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to lead collaborative teams for larger projects or groups both internal and external to the Medical Center and across functional areas. Results have implications for the management and operations of multiple areas of the organization.
- Customer Service: Ability to lead operational initiatives to meet or exceed customer service standards and expectations in assigned unit(s) and/or across multiple areas in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally
Share this Job
Working at this Location
Check out where you could be working if you apply.
Your Saved Jobs
You have not saved any jobs yet.
Sign up for our Talent Community and receive Job Alerts
Actor John Krasinski spreads some good news at BIDMC
BIDMC Named Top 25 Hospitals in the Nation to Work For
BIDMC recognized as a leader in “LGBTQ Healthcare Equality”
How to Apply