Job ID: 96875
Area of Interest: Clerical
Location: Linthicum,MD US
Hours of Work: M-F, 8a-4:30p
Job Facility: University of Maryland Medical System
Employment Type: Full Time
What You Will Do:
Under general supervision, perform as lead worker of Payroll Staff, overseeing, reviewing, and coordinating daily work activities.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Provides leadership and guidance to the Payroll staff to ensure maximum productivity and effectiveness in accordance with departmental standards and procedures.
A. Contributes to performance evaluations, interviewing, and enforcing departmental rules and regulations in collaboration with Payroll Manager. Conducts new employee orientation and training as needed.
B. Develops employee work schedules to maintain adequate staffing levels. Insures all areas are properly staffed. Audits the work of the Payroll staff ensuring that all work is completed accurately and timely. Offers guidance and direction and assists the Payroll staff with difficult payroll issues.
C. Coordinates the work of the Payroll staff in developing payroll-related reports for various UMMS department supervisors.
2. Processes, calculates and verifies weekly time records for state and UMMS employees regarding payment and leave balances in accordance with UMMS/departmental policies and procedures.
A. Reviews and corrects time records for coding accuracy before processing.
B. Follows-up to assure that appropriate forms and statements for changes in payroll and/or leave are completed. Prepares payroll adjustment sheets, by calculating gross income and necessary tax deductions.
C. Reviews and processes more complicated time records, involving more complex calculations and special considerations.
3. Verifies information input into the HRIS by HR regarding employee data changes, including changes in personal information, salary, job title, transfers, and other pertinent information for accuracy and completeness.
4. Responds to and resolves inquires referred by payroll staff regarding more complex pay and leave questions.
A. Investigates employee/supervisor questions regarding such issues as, health insurance tax deductions and leave time accumulations or other concerns.
B. Responds to concerns regarding direct deposit. Contacts bank regarding accounts and routing numbers, stopping payments on accounts, as necessary.
5. Develop, update and maintain special computer reports for recording and tracking pay/position-related information on employees.
6. Conducts training sessions for payroll staff, UMMS supervisors and department heads pertaining to procedures and benefits with regard to payroll. Provides instruction on coding time sheets and monitoring employee leave availability.
What You Need to Be Successful:
Education and Experience
1. High School Diploma or equivalent (GED) is required. Two years of course work from an accredited college or university in Finance or Accounting preferred.
2. Five years experience performing payroll processing duties, including experience in preparing salary and wage garnishments and completing government required tax forms is required.
3. Lead worker/supervisory experience preferred.
4. Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of state, local and federal tax laws and regulations, general/routine accounting practices (bookkeeping) is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Demonstrated ability to perform basic mathematical calculations including percentage, addition, subtraction, multiplication, or otherwise manipulate numbers using a calculator, or related equipment. Ability to operate a personal computer, photocopier, and other routinely used office equipment is required.
2. Demonstrated knowledge of spreadsheets (i.e. Microsoft Excel), word processing programs (i.e., Microsoft Word), graphic/specialty and other finance-related software programs is required.
3. Ability to oversee and monitor daily work activities, evaluate, train and motivate the performance of payroll staff.
4. Proficient problem-solving skills are required to successfully resolve difficult payroll-related discrepancies. Proficient guest relation skills are required. Ability to work effectively in a stressful work environment.
5. Highly effective verbal and written communication and listening skills are required to interact with various individuals seeking pay related information.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
[chill music] From all of us at the UMMS Talent Acquisition Team. We want to thank you for an amazing year. Together, we have welcomed over 6,000 team members and counting to our organization. Which was no easy task and would not have been possible without you. The challenges we have all faced over the last year have not been easy. But in spite of those challenges through our partnership and collaboration, We have become stronger and better together. Thank you for your partnership. We are looking forward to another great year together in 2022. From our family to yours. Happy holidays. Happy holidays. Happy holidays. Happy holidays. Happy holidays. Happy holidays. Happy holidays. [chill music]
All current and new team members, Medical Staff and partners, including contractors, volunteers and students, must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved medical or religious exemption.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW