Patient Service Representative, Family Medicine Hickory "Job Details"
Hickory, NC, United States
- 2359 Springs Rd NE, Hickory, NC, 28601, US
09/15/2021, 08:32 PM
Patient Service Representative, Family Medicine Hickory
40 hours per week, day shift
JOB SUMMARY: The Patient Services Representative (PSR) is responsible for completing patient registration duties including but not limited to collecting and validating accurate patient demographic and insurance information, obtaining pre-certification or authorization as required, and entering all necessary information into Wake Forest Baptist Health (WFBH) ADT system. The PSR is responsible for informing the patient of their estimated liability, collecting patient liabilities, identifying patients in need of financial assistance and referring patients to financial counseling as necessary. This position requires multi-tasking and effective problem solving skills. It is expected that the PSR will foster positive relationships with all patients in an effort to provide quality service.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: High School Diploma or GED required and three years of healthcare or customer service experience. Patient Access (Scheduling, Registration and Financial Clearance), Insurance verification, billing or certified medical assistant experience preferred.
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION, and/or REGISTRATION: N/A
1. Greets patients arriving for their appointments. Monitors patient flow to ensure patients are cared for in the most efficient and courteous manner.
2. Ensures all patient demographic and insurance information is complete and accurate
3. Completes the registration process on walk-in patients, verifies and / or updates patient demographic and insurance information if changes or additions have occurred
4. Verifies insurance benefits. Obtains, calculates and collects the patient's out of pocket financial liability. Requests and collects past due and present balances or estimates due
5. Follows the Financial Clearance policy for non-urgent patient services if financial clearance has not been completed or authorization has not been obtained, when appropriate
6. Identifies patients in need of financial assistance and refers patients to Financial Counselor
7. Performs visit closure, including but not limited to checking out patients, scheduling follow-up appointment(s), collecting additional patient responsibility (when applicable) and providing patient with appropriate documents.
8. Maintains knowledge of and reference materials of the following: Medicare, Medicaid and third-party payer requirements, guidelines and policies, insurance plans requiring pre-authorization/referral and a list of current accepted insurance plans.
9. Proactively communicates issues involving customer service and process improvement opportunities to management
10. Meets productivity requirements to ensure excellent service is provided to customers
11. Meets or exceeds performance expectations of 98% accuracy rate and established department productivity measurements.
12. Maintains excellent public relations with patients, families, and clinical staff as well as demonstrates a willingness and ability to work collaboratively with others for concise and timely flow of information
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Ability to identify and understand issues and problems. Examines data and draws logical conclusions based on information available
- Knowledge and ability to articulate explanations of Medicare, HIPAA, and EMTALA rules and regulations and comply with updates on insurance pre-certification requirements
- Mathematical aptitude, effective oral and written communication skills and critical thinking skills
- Understanding of basic human anatomy, medical terminology and procedures for application in the patient referral, pre-certification and authorization processes.
- Ability to speak effectively to customers or employees of the organization; presents a pleasant, professional demeanor and image during telephone conversation
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information according to internal policies
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals
- Experience with Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel and ADT software
- Ability to write routine correspondence, calculate figures and amounts such as discounts and percentages
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision, to problem solve in a high profile and high stress area and interact positively with all internal and external customers while possessing the ability to determine priority of work
- Exposed to a normal office environment.
- Must be able to sit the majority of the workday.
- Occasionally lifts up to 10 lbs.
- Operates all equipment necessary to perform the job
Wake Forest Baptist Health and Atrium Health have joined forces in a strategic combination that will enhance care, transform medical education and create economic opportunity for countless lives in North Carolina and beyond. As a part of that combination, the two health systems will be integrating technology and platforms, including our career sites.
This means that although you are applying on the Wake Forest Baptist Health Career Site, you receive communications from the Atrium Health Recruitment Team. Please know that this is an expected process, and thanks in advance for your flexibility.
Wake Forest Baptist Health (www.WakeHealth.edu) is a nationally recognized academic health system in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, with an integrated enterprise including educational and research facilities, hospitals, clinics, diagnostic centers, and other primary and specialty care facilities serving 24 counties in northwest North Carolina and southwest Virginia.
It comprises: a regional clinical system with more than 300 locations, 2,100 physicians and 1,535 acute care beds; Wake Forest School of Medicine; and Wake Forest Innovations, which promotes the commercialization of research discoveries and operates Innovation Quarter, an urban research and business park specializing in biotechnology, materials science and information technology. Wake Forest Baptist’s clinical, research and educational programs are consistently ranked among the best in the country.
About the Team
Wake Forest Baptist Health's mission is to improve the health of our region, state and nation by:
- Generating and translating knowledge to prevent, diagnose and treat disease.
- Training leaders in health care and biomedical science.
- Serving as the premier health system in our region, with specific centers of excellence recognized as national and international care destination.
Wake Forest Baptist Health is a preeminent learning health system that promotes better health for all through collaboration, excellence and innovation.
- Demonstrate the highest standards of patient-centered care, education, research and operational effectiveness
- Responsive to the physical, emotional, spiritual and intellectual needs of all
- Cultivate selfless contribution for the greater good
- Demonstrate fairness, honesty, sincerity and accountability
- Demonstrate respect for and inclusion of all backgrounds, identities, experiences, and perspectives
- Foster mutual respect, facilitate professional growth and mentorship, and reward teamwork and collaboration
- Promote creativity to enhance discovery and the application of knowledge
- Embrace a culture of reliability through better process design and accountability
Patient and Family Promise
We promise to:
- Keep you safe.
- Care for you.
- Involve you and your family.
- Respect you and your time.