Patient Scheduling Coordinator, full time, weekdays at Ophthalmology Physician Based Clinic, WFBMC in Winston Salem.
Under general supervision, performs patient scheduling functions and check out duties in addition to a significant amount of higher level work including a combination of TES (transaction editing system) duties, medical coding, lead responsibilities, financial coordination, etc.
Education and Experience
High school diploma or GED equivalent and three years clerical experience, six months of which must be at Patient Scheduling Coordinator level or equivalent.
Must complete certification program and maintain accuracy standards. BCLS required within 30 days of hire.
1. Schedules clinical appointments for new and returning patients with independent judgment and discretion to priority using the IDX system. Follows Clinical Operations standards to promote a cooperative work and patient care environment.
2. Coordinates extensive laboratory work and diagnostic testing for patients using LastWord, NotesLink, Logician, etc., or manual lab slips; anticipates necessary lab work and testing based on knowledge of patient needs.
3. Makes daily judgments over the telephone as to the timeframe in which patients should be seen based on experience and the examination of patient charts.
4. Performs complex coordination among WFUHS physicians, external physicians, patients, nurses, and outside testing laboratories to assure that all necessary tests are performed and paperwork is complete. Coordinates departmental consult service as directed.
5. Coordinates testing for inpatients, using judgment and discretion as to the seriousness of condition to properly plan for transportation, timeframe of tests, and types of test performed.
6. Assures that each patient's chart is fully prepared prior to the visit, including chart work-up.
7. Answers inquiries concerning clinic policies and procedures. Initiates and facilitates the resolution of patient issues and complaints utilizing other Medical Center professionals as needed. Practices excellent customer service skills. Accommodates patient's special needs (e.g., interpreter).
8. Assists in the training of less experienced personnel as instructed.
9. Processes transaction editing system (TES) files by obtaining requested information. Performs medical coding as needed to assure proper billing for services rendered.
10. Coordinates surgeries using discretion as to timeframes, instruments needed, room availability, and physician schedule. Obtains precertification and coordinates activities with NCBH as required. Assures that patient has all necessary information.
11. Performs financial duties such as authorizing or obtaining authorization for insurance, reviewing encounter forms, assisting with medical coding, providing assistance to patients regarding billing questions, etc.
12. Complete required educational programs to remain current on job responsibilities and fulfill compliance requirements. Successfully completes the WFUP Certification Program. Attends and participates in the development of the WFUP Clinical Operations Departmental meetings regularly.
13. Performs other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply Now" button on this page. You must complete the application process and then submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button located at the bottom of the page titled "Submit Online Application". You will receive the following message once you hit the submit button: "You have successfully submitted your job application".
Computers are available for applying within the lobby of the Human Resources Department located at 1920 West First Street, (on the corner of Miller and First Street) Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27104. You may also call our office for assistance at (336) 716-6464. Office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact our Supervisor of Office Services by phone (336) 716-3367 or email at email@example.com.
It is the policy of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center to administer all educational and employment activities without discrimination because of race, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status (except where sex is a bona fide occupational qualification or a statutory requirement) in accordance with all local, state, national laws, executive orders, regulations, and guidelines.