Search Our Jobs
State City Organization
Let us find jobs for you based on your LinkedIn profile.
Patient Observer/Safety Aide (24hr, Evenings)
BID−Needham is part of Beth Israel Lahey Health, a new health care system that brings together academic medical centers and teaching hospitals, community and specialty hospitals, more than 4,000 physicians and 35,000 employees in a shared mission to expand access to great care and advance the science and practice of medicine through groundbreaking research and education.
BID Needham has had a direct affiliation with Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center since 2000, facilitating the clinical integration of staff and resources in emergency medicine, hospital medicine (hospitalists), cardiology, radiology, orthopaedics, pathology, as well as many surgical services and oncology housed in the Beth Israel Deaconess Cancer Center and Surgical Pavilion.Job Location: Needham, MA
Req ID: 41657BR
Job Summary: The Patient Observer provides constant observation, to ensure a safe and comfortable environment, for patients identified as a risk to themselves or others. The Patient Observer functions under the direction of the Registered Nurse and is responsible for providing specific care-related tasks in accordance with the individual needs of the patient, maintaining patient confidentiality and information at all times. All nursing care is provided by the nursing staff. When not observing patients, the Patient Observer/Safety Aide may be asked to provide other ancillary activities.
- Assures a safe care environment for assigned patients and notifies RN of any concerns.
- Receives nursing handoff at beginning of shift regarding reason for observation with specific important information. Provides/Receives handoffs to/from Observer and RN with each change of observer and RN.
- Observes patient for obvious changes in behavior and conditions including attempts to leave the ED/or patient unit and notifies responsible RN.
- Completes appropriate documentation.
- Alerts the appropriate RN to assist when call light is triggered.
- Completes required annual education and other trainings as assigned within established deadlines.
- Must maintain active Basic Life Support (BLS) certification at all times.
- Completes other duties as assigned, appropriate to the incumbent.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Certificate 1 Basic Life Support required., and If not currently BLS certified, must be willing to complete within 30 days of hire date.
- 0-1 years related work experience required in healthcare or home care preferred. Equivalent related work experience may be substituted for High School Diploma and/or GED requirement..
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
- Equivalent related work experience may be substituted for High School Diploma and/or GED requirement.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate basic knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures with the ability to use them in routine situations. Specialized knowledge not required.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Age based Competencies:
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Youth: 6 months to 16 years, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus
EOE StatementBIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATION
VaccinesAs a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement
Share this Job
Working at this Location
Check out where you could be working if you apply.
BIDMC is proud to be recognized LinkedIn as one of their Top Companies Boston
BIDMC Named Top 25 Hospitals in the Nation to Work For
Recognized in 100 Great Hospitals in America
How to Apply