Patient Care Technician Trainee – Medical Oncology
Job ID: 87104
Area of Interest: Nursing Support
Location: Baltimore,MD US
Hours of Work: N/A
Job Facility: University of Maryland Medical Center
Employment Type: Part Time
What You Will Do:
Attends scheduled classes/clinical rotations in a Patient Care Technician program approved by the Maryland Board of Nursing (MBON). The MBON approved course prepares you to safely perform delegated nurse functions with clients of any age and various levels of physical, sensory, motor, and emotional ability skills learned in clinical placement to gain experience in acute care/hospital under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse in the maintenance of a safe and clean environment, assists the patient care team to provide various patient care activities and maintains customer service focus essential for smooth operation.
Assignments depends on the level of training completed. This position is a training role.
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
- Provides direct patient care which includes bathing, making beds, feeding, oral hygiene, giving shampoos, turning, and positioning patients, and the like.
- Initiates CPR procedures.
- Identifies, records, and reports overt findings to the Registered Nurse concerning the physical and mental condition of a patient.
- Assists nurses in assembling equipment and in performing various treatments and tests.
- Administers and changes routine dressings to stage one and two wounds, surgical incisions, and peripheral IV sites after assessment by a Registered Nurse.
- Gathers equipment required to, and initiates placement IV for the patient as directed by the registered nurse.
- Performs venipuncture for drawing blood samples and established IV access.
- Performs urinary bladder catheterization for temporary or permanent placement and implements catheter care in stable patients as delegated by the registered nurse.
- Cleans, sterilizes, and appropriately cares for equipment and instruments in accordance with operational procedure.
- Administers enteral tube feedings via nasogastric or gastrostomy tubes, as supervised by registered nurse.
- Sets up and operates multiple lead EKG machines; attaches and removes EKG leads; runs a rhythm strip.
- Performs chest physical therapy, tracheal suctioning, tracheostomy care and incentive spirometry treatments as delegated and supervised by the responsible registered nurse.
- Performs minor housekeeping tasks to keep patient areas in a clean and sanitary condition; recognizes, reports, or corrects environmental conditions, which may jeopardize patient safety and wellbeing.
- Performs related and delegated tasks when necessary such as admission and/or discharge assistance, setting up special equipment, taking and relaying messages, procuring equipment, and running errands.
- Achieves competence in each of the roles through on the job training and didactic education.
What You Need to Be Successful:
- High School diploma or equivalent (GED) is required.
- Certified Nursing Assistant, EMT, Corpsman or Patient Care Technician certification preferred.
- CPR certification is required.
- Currently enrolled in or accepted into the Patient Care Technician apprenticeship training classes.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
- Follow us on