Patient Care Technician (PCT) – 3N Medsurg
Job ID: 87485
Area of Interest: Nursing Support
Location: Baltimore,MD US
Hours of Work: 0700-1930
Job Facility: UMMC Midtown Campus
Employment Type: Full Time
What You Will Do:
The Patient Care Technician assists in the delivery of patient care under the direct clinical supervision of the Registered Nurse. Direct care activities are delegated by the Registered Nurse and consistent with the Maryland Board of Nursing-Nurse Practice Act. Direct care includes activities involving the care and nutrition of patients, provision of direct observation, and transportation of patients and documentation of those activities.
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. These are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
- Assists with direct patient care procedures and related tasks under the direction and supervision of the Registered Nurse.
- Demonstrates skills in obtaining vital signs, including height and weight.
- Demonstrates skills in obtaining specimens and phlebotomy according to established policies and procedures.
- Provides care on a functional basis to a patient or group of patients. Duties and responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Provides comfort measures to patients.
- Observes patients condition and documents vital signs T, P, R, blood pressure and O2 saturation. Reports changes to responsible RN.
- Measures and records intake and output, collects specimen and processes appropriately.
- Assists with setup and positioning of patients for the following procedures (but not limited to): central line insertion, chest tube insertion, lumbar puncture, intubation, foley catheter insertion. Assists with NG tube insertion, pacemakers, sutures, splinting procedures, application of orthopedic soft goods and pelvic exams.
- Obtain and records height and weight of patients.
- Completes clothing and valuable lists for admitted patients according to established procedures.
- Performs the following procedures competently and per policy and procedures under the direct supervision of the Registered Nurse:
iii. Application of clean sterile dressing
iv. Application of restraints
v. Performs 12 lead EKG
vi. Tracheal suctioning and mouth care
vii. Infection control bundle care
- Identifies and responds promptly to patient needs, respecting dignity and privacy.
- Informs RN immediately of all monitor alarms.
- Provides and maintains a safe and orderly environment for patient care, i.e., side rails up, safe transport to other units.
- Prepares instruments and equipment for material processing exchange.
- Provides assistance orienting to proper use and care of equipment and on location of supplies.
- Performs post mortem care accordingly to hospital policy.
- Initiates CPR as necessary; maintains cardiopulmonary resuscitation competency.
- Improve patient safety in the delivery of health care by understanding and applying the patient safety goals.
- Completes appropriate documentation in accordance with hospital guidelines.
- Participates in the orientation, training, and evaluation of new staff.
- Maintains competency and yearly educational requirements for position.
- Adheres to all procedures related to infection control principles.
- Attends and actively participates in meetings as required.
What You Need to Be Successful:
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED).
- Maryland Nursing Assistant Certification required as well as completion of one of the following training programs: hospital based program, community college, Emergency Medical Technician, Medical Corpsmen.
- Employees with work experience that provide on the job training equivalent to the above programs can be considered as a substitute to a formal PCT training program.
- Minimum of one year of recent, direct patient care experience preferred.
- Current CPR certification is required.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
- Follow us on