Patient Access Representative
FT 40 HRS
2 days agoRequisition ID: 1560
The Patient Access Representative provides excellent customer service while greeting and assisting patients, families and guests entering the Health Center by registering new and existing patients; verifying scheduled appointments, insurance information and scheduling follow up appointments. The Patient Access Representative effectively identifies and assesses patient needs and takes appropriate procedures to ensure that patient needs are met.
• Accurately and efficiently collects and records patient information, registers new patients including walk-ins.
• Ensures that all demographics and insurance information is accurate and current and data enters pertinent demographic patient data and account information.
• Verifies insurance information and documents payer on patient encounters to ensure accurate claim submission, collects co-pays and/or payment on account in accordance with HHSI policy.
• Promptly and courteously answers the telephone, disseminates calls to appropriate staff.
• Educates patients on payment options, including discussing health and dental insurance coverage, submits applications for Health Safety Net Presumptive Determination, completes applications for Sliding Fee Scale Discounts, and refers patients to the Certified Application Counselors.
• Assists with patient appointments and rescheduling by patient and/or provider request.
• Performs related administrative duties (i.e. sorting mail, bump list, etc.)
• Explains and distributes New Patient Handbook, effectively explains appointment procedures.
• Explains insurance options and schedules appointment with a Certified Application Counselor (CAC) or refers to review insurance eligibility options.
• Refers patients as appropriate to Managed Care Coordinator.
• Ensures accuracy of PCP and/or obtains referral and obtains Motor Vehicle and Workers Compensation Insurances as appropriate.
• If patient is a self-pay, collects cash from patient and/or ensures that visit is billable.
• Edits and updates insurance information in EPIC EMR.
Required/Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
• High school diploma/GED.
• 1 or more years of experience in a community health center and/or a professional healthcare or business environment, 3 or more years preferred.
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
• Excellent customer service, organizational skills, problem solving and priority setting skills.
• Basic Math, reading comprehension skills.
• Basic computer literacy, knowledge of Microsoft Office preferred including Word, Excel and Outlook. EPIC EMR desired.
• Bilingual: English/Portuguese preferred.
• Familiarity with using Medical terminology preferred.
• Related bilingual skills as dictated by Health Center business need can be a substituted for up to 6 months of experience in a community health center and/or a professional business environment.
Harbor Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D.