Pathology Services Representative, Central Processing Lab "Job Details"
Winston-Salem, NC, United States
- Medical Center Blvd, Winston Salem, NC, 27157, US
07/12/2021, 12:30 PM
JOB SUMMARY: Provides laboratory related support and customer service to various types of customers. Responsibilities include involvement in intra- and interdepartmental communications, in depth communications with external customers, patient registration and order entry, and document maintenance for various types of laboratory records. Processes specimens in the Clinical Laboratory as needed.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: High School diploma or GED equivalent with two years experience in a laboratory or laboratory specimen processing area and one year of customer service experience required. Associate's or Bachelor's degree preferred.
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION, and/or REGISTRATION: Medical Laboratory Assistant or Phlebotomist (American Society for Clinical Pathology or American Medical Technologists) certification preferred.
- Provides customers with excellent customer service through effective communication both orally and written while adhering to the organization?s mission, vision, values, and policies.
- Manages inbound and outbound calls related to the clinical laboratory and anatomic pathology.
- Responds to customer requests regarding specimen triage, specimen collection status, supply requests, provision of test results, and other needs received through both verbal and electronic means.
- Utilizes various Laboratory Information Systems and other computer software to help manage patient orders such as new orders, add-ons, cancellations, and credits. Completes follow-up steps for specimen issues and concerns for outpatient and outreach samples.
- Triages technology related issues experienced by outreach customers.
- Conducts manual requisition verification, registration, and order entry.
- Oversees document storage and maintenance for lab requisitions, manifests, packing lists, and other documents.
- Performs the job duties of a Specimen Processor II as needed.
- Completes a minimum of four continuing education hours outside of annual in-service requirements.
- Completes special projects as assigned.
SKILLS/QUALIFICATIONS: Ability to listen and communicate effectively Ability to function independently Ability to multitask and manage multiple situations and tasks Possesses excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills Synthesizes complex data and maintain confidential materials Experience with Microsoft Office
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Exposure to infection from disease-bearing specimens or patients Exposure to risk of blood borne/airborne disease Possible exposure to odorous chemicals and specimens Moderate noise environment Subject to injury from sharps Subject to many interruptions and stressful situations Subject to varying and unpredictable situations Must wear protective equipment (gloves, gowns/lab coats, eye protection, face protection)
Wake Forest Baptist Health and Atrium Health have joined forces in a strategic combination that will enhance care, transform medical education and create economic opportunity for countless lives in North Carolina and beyond. As a part of that combination, the two health systems will be integrating technology and platforms, including our career sites.
This means that although you are applying on the Wake Forest Baptist Health Career Site, you receive communications from the Atrium Health Recruitment Team. Please know that this is an expected process, and thanks in advance for your flexibility.
Wake Forest Baptist Health (www.WakeHealth.edu) is a nationally recognized academic health system in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, with an integrated enterprise including educational and research facilities, hospitals, clinics, diagnostic centers, and other primary and specialty care facilities serving 24 counties in northwest North Carolina and southwest Virginia.
It comprises: a regional clinical system with more than 300 locations, 2,100 physicians and 1,535 acute care beds; Wake Forest School of Medicine; and Wake Forest Innovations, which promotes the commercialization of research discoveries and operates Innovation Quarter, an urban research and business park specializing in biotechnology, materials science and information technology. Wake Forest Baptist’s clinical, research and educational programs are consistently ranked among the best in the country.
About the Team
Wake Forest Baptist Health's mission is to improve the health of our region, state and nation by:
- Generating and translating knowledge to prevent, diagnose and treat disease.
- Training leaders in health care and biomedical science.
- Serving as the premier health system in our region, with specific centers of excellence recognized as national and international care destination.
Wake Forest Baptist Health is a preeminent learning health system that promotes better health for all through collaboration, excellence and innovation.
- Demonstrate the highest standards of patient-centered care, education, research and operational effectiveness
- Responsive to the physical, emotional, spiritual and intellectual needs of all
- Cultivate selfless contribution for the greater good
- Demonstrate fairness, honesty, sincerity and accountability
- Demonstrate respect for and inclusion of all backgrounds, identities, experiences, and perspectives
- Foster mutual respect, facilitate professional growth and mentorship, and reward teamwork and collaboration
- Promote creativity to enhance discovery and the application of knowledge
- Embrace a culture of reliability through better process design and accountability
Patient and Family Promise
We promise to:
- Keep you safe.
- Care for you.
- Involve you and your family.
- Respect you and your time.