State City Organization
Let us find jobs for you based on your LinkedIn profile.
Pathology Consult Coordinator
Over 100,000 cases in surgical pathology and cytology are sent to us each year for examination and diagnosis. Pathologists representing a wide variety of specialties, e.g., breast, lung, prostate, skin, etc. provide high quality, timely diagnoses to physicians and their patients. This enables patients to begin treatment quickly if needed.
Pathology is one of the most important medical disciplines for the diagnosis and treatment of medical diseases and disorders.
The hours of this position are 8:30am-5:00pm.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 39702BR
Job Summary: Under supervision and in accordance with department policy and procedure, the employee organizes and coordinates the pathology consultation service.
The position includes the ability to review incoming materials to discern and triage consultation material following appropriate protocol. Ability to organize consultation requests in an accurate and expeditious manner. Possess computer literacy to understand and navigate multiple BIDMC computer systems. Ensure transcribed materials contain a high degree of accuracy to include correct spelling and slide labeling. Provide excellent customer service to external and internal clients. Possess effective problem solving skills and knowledge of medical terminology.
- Prioritize decision-making activities in accordance with guidelines defined by department. Work closely with physician staff/fellows to follow up on all requests including communication with outside institutions.
- Coordinate consultation service to include over 2500 incoming consultations per year (national and international second opinion requests).
- Processes outside pathology consultations (create registration, visits, and accession numbers/login cases into the computer).
- Review incoming materials to systematically organize and arrange slides and blocks based on pathology protocol to discern appropriate medical triage.
- Register patient demographics to include insurance information. Obtain and scan payment authorizations to set up financial information/billing for outside requests for second opinion.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- 1-3 years related work experience required in Administrative and transcription preferably with a healthcare or anatomical pathology background.
- Outcome of work impacts patient care, operations of work unit and department. Responsible for specific, defined results directly related to own job responsibilities.
- Work requires the employee to possess outstanding organizational skills, to effectively problem-solve, to follow instructions, and to complete tasks requiring multiple steps and meet deadlines.
- Work requires wide-range knowledge of medical terminology; the ability to type and to proof medical documents. Work requires attention to detail, procedures, and physicians¿ preferences.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service and staff training to meet customer service standards and expectations for the assigned unit(s). Resolves service issues in the assigned unit(s) in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally
Share this Job
Working at this Location
Check out where you could be working if you apply.
Actor John Krasinski spreads some good news at BIDMC
BIDMC Named Top 25 Hospitals in the Nation to Work For
BIDMC recognized as a leader in “LGBTQ Healthcare Equality”
How to Apply