Center City, Philadelphia, PA
JOB SUMMARY: The Behavior Technician (BT) must possess a willingness to serve and exhibit the attitude and behaviors to fulfill the mission and philosophy of Magee Rehab Hospital. The BT is a member of the health care team who works under the supervision of a licensed professional by providing constant/direct observation of assigned patients, and intervention to keep those patients safe. The primary job function is to ensure the safety and well-being of a patient who is considered a danger, fall risk, or safety concern to him/herself.
The Behavior Technician is accountable for the following:
- Provides safe environment for patient.
- Provides positive interaction with patient in a calm environment. Is able to de-escalate situations that may cause patient to react verbally and/or physically.
- Provides constant one to one observation and intervention for safety of assigned patient(s) under the direction of the Registered Nurse.
- Remains alert and within arms reach of the patient.
- Alerts other caregivers if assistance is needed to prevent the patient from engaging in behaviors that place the patient at risk for harm.
- If necessary, gently moves a patient’s hand away from touching a wound or tube.
- The behavior tech may not undertake care alone. They may assist other caregivers, such as the nurse or nursing assistant, to perform the following areas, once trained to provide that assistance:
- Grooming, dressing, transfers, mobility, turning, toileting, and with other functional tasks.
- Reports observations of changes in the patient’s condition or behavior to professional staff. Utilizes written documentation to record patient behavior information on an hourly basis.
- Knowledge of the use of restraints and appropriate application per clinical guidelines, but is not involved in the application of restraints.
- Knowledge of pain and reporting of pain.
- Knowledge of cultural factors that may influence the patient’s response to the situation that they are in.
- Demonstrates commitment to patient care and the patient care team.
- Understands the philosophy of the Department of Nursing, Department of Rehab Services and understands the philosophy of the hospital along with Hospital Policies and the Mission Statement.
- Has the ability to communicate effectively and appropriately to supervisors, staff and patients.
- Practices patient confidentiality and respect for patient rights utilizing HIPAA standards.
- Assists in unit based Quality Assessment activities.
- Must be able to exert 50 pounds of pull, push, lift forces while caring for patients and/or devices.
- Transports patients to and from different areas according to patient schedules.
- Accompanies patients on outside medical appointments to ensure their safety as directed by the RN.
HS Diploma or equivalent
Conditions of Employment
Since this position will require the selected candidate to engage in regular contact with children in the form of care, guidance, supervision or training, you will be required to meet the requirements of the Child Protective Services Act, including the Pennsylvania State Police criminal background check, the Pennsylvania Department of Welfare child abuse criminal background clearance, and an FBI finger print based federal criminal records check. The selected candidate will not be allowed to commence working until all three (3) are completed satisfactorily.
Jefferson Health delivers state of the art healthcare services to patients throughout the Delaware Valley and southern New Jersey. Jefferson (Philadelphia University + Thomas Jefferson University) provides more than 8,400 students from nearly 40 states and 40 countries with 21st century professional education. Combined, we have over 30,000 employees.
Jefferson Health, with 14 hospitals (seven are Magnet designated by the ANCC for nursing excellence) and 40+ outpatient and urgent care locations, offers a broad range of primary and complex, highly specialized care that touches the lives of more than four million patients annually. U.S. News & World Report has ranked Thomas Jefferson University Hospital among the nation’s best in eight specialties. Jefferson Health also includes the NCI designated Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center; it is one of only 70 such centers in the nation.
Thomas Jefferson University has ten colleges and three schools that offer more than 160 undergraduate and graduate programs. Our University is dedicated to inter-professional and transdisciplinary approaches to learning that offer a vibrant and expandable platform for professional education. Through this unique model, we are preparing our students for current and yet to be imagined careers.
As an employer, Jefferson maintains a commitment to provide equal access to employment. Jefferson values diversity and encourages applications from women, members of minority groups, LGBTQ individuals, disabled individuals, and veterans.
Par Reference Code