Wake Forest Baptist Health is a pre-eminent academic health system based in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. Wake Forest Baptist’s two main components are an integrated clinical system – anchored by Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, an 885-bed tertiary-care hospital in Winston-Salem – that includes Brenner Children’s Hospital, five community hospitals, more than 350 primary and specialty care locations and more than 2,500 physicians; and Wake Forest School of Medicine, a recognized leader in experiential medical education and groundbreaking research that includes Wake Forest Innovations, a commercialization enterprise focused on advancing health care through new medical technologies and biomedical discovery.
Entry level SPD position for 2nd shift. Hours are 3PM-11:30PM, M-F. Some weekday surge work required and some weekend on call work required.
Responsible for the cleaning, assembling, packaging, maintenance, and sterilization of surgical instruments, supplies and equipment. Responsible for the daily checking of the autoclaves to insure proper function. Works with other department staff members to provide the necessary equipment, instruments, and supplies for posted procedures.
- High School diploma or GED equivalent.
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION, and/or REGISTRATION:
- Certified Sterile Processing and Distribution Technician (CSPDT).
- Adheres to the general hospital standards to promote a cooperative work environment by utilizing communication skills, interpersonal relationships and team building.
- Cleans instruments and equipment using appropriate method and equipment.
- Ensures the correct inspection of reusable items.
- Sorting and assembling instruments and/or sets.
- Operates sterilizing units for production of sterile products to reduce risk of nosocomial infections.
- Ensures the availability of sterilization supplies and prep solutions.
- Daily checks autoclaves and Steris Units with biological indicators and air removal test kits as required. Maintains proper logs, records and charts of sterilizers.
- Maintains technical knowledge.
- Provides age/developmentally appropriate care as provided in accordance with Age-Specific Care Guidelines for the specific age groups served.
- Ability to operate equipment, such as sterilization equipment, washer sterilizer, ultrasonic cleaner, flash autoclave and high van autoclave
- Ability to communicate effectively with other medical professionals
- Knowledge of basic and specialty operating room instrumentation
- Ability to stand for long periods
- Exposure to hazards associated with bodily fluids and tissue
- Regular exposure to the risk of blood borne diseases
- Exposure to chemical agents used in cleaning
- Exposure to hazards of steam and heat, may be subject to burns
- Loud stressful environment due to equipment and high demands
- Subject to varying and unpredictable situations
- Subject to many interruptions
- Occasional pressure due to multiple calls and inquiries
- Exposure to sharp instruments that may result in cuts or abrasions
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply Now" button on this page. You must complete the application process and then submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button located at the bottom of the page titled "Submit Online Application". You will receive the following message once you hit the submit button: "You have successfully submitted your job application".
Computers are available for applying within the lobby of the Human Resources Department located at 1920 West First Street, (on the corner of Miller and First Street) Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27104. You may also call our office for assistance at (336) 716-6464. Office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact our Supervisor of Office Services by phone (336) 716-3367 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
It is the policy of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center to administer all educational and employment activities without discrimination because of race, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status (except where sex is a bona fide occupational qualification or a statutory requirement) in accordance with all local, state, national laws, executive orders, regulations, and guidelines.