State City Organization
Let us find jobs for you based on your LinkedIn profile.
Ophthalmic Assistant II
Busy Medical specialties practice in Chestnut Hill offering Optometry services to patients. We’re seeking a dynamic individual to join the team.
Free parking on site for employees located at 200 Boylston Street - Chestnut Hill The Square.
Job Location: Chestnut Hill, MA
Req ID: 35123BR
Job Summary: The Ophthalmic Assistant II, certified by JCAHPO as a COA, COT or COMT, fulfills numerous functions to prepare patients for evaluation by an Ophthalmologist and/or Optometrist., including acquiring health histories from patients, performing preliminary eye function testing, administering eye drops, managing patient flow and maintaining equipment. Performs refractions.
- Escorts patients to and from exam rooms. Takes a complete history focusing on the patient's eye symptoms. Reviews allergies and medications. Performs visual acuity tests and uses tonopens and applanation to measure intraocular pressure. Administers eye drops in preparation for the eye exam.
- Performs visual fields, A/B ultrasonic scans, autorefraction, OCT, fundus photography, lensometry and topography. Performs refractions.
- Monitors provider schedules and patient flow. Gathers and coordinates information necessary for patient records.
- Monitors supply rooms and keeps exam rooms stocked and supplied. Cleans and maintains equipment and coordinates repairs as needed.
- Trains on the job for new tasks and ancillary skills as needed. Participates in employer sponsored training and continuing education.
- High School diploma or GED required. Vocational or Technical training in accredited program for Ophthalmic Assistant preferred.
- Certificate 1 Cert Ophthalmic Asst required.
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Certification as COA, COT or COMT by JCAHPO.
- Minimum 1 year experience in an ophthalmology practice or graduate of accredited Ophthalmic Assistant program.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by precedents, policies and objectives. Regularly makes decisions and recommendations on issues affecting a department or functional area.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set goals and determines how to accomplish defined results with some guidelines. Manager/Director provides broad guidance and overall direction.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Age based Competencies:
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus
Share this Job
Working at this Location
Check out where you could be working if you apply.
Actor John Krasinski spreads some good news at BIDMC
BIDMC Named Top 25 Hospitals in the Nation to Work For
BIDMC recognized as a leader in “LGBTQ Healthcare Equality”
How to Apply