OPERATING ROOM TECH
Job ID: 84108
Area of Interest: Allied Health
Location: Bowie,MD US
Hours of Work: 8a-4p
Job Facility: University of Maryland Capital Region
Employment Type: Full Time
What You Will Do:
Passes instruments to the operating team during operations, applying aseptic techniques. Arranges and inventories sterile set-up for operation. Performs other duties as assigned. Requires certification and previous experience or training in surgical procedures.
The following job description covers the most significant duties performed, but does not exclude other work assignments not mentioned PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Assist RN with patient admission to OR in a timely manner.
a. Sets priorities and plans care according to patient’s surgical needs.
b. Selects equipment, instrument and supplies in an organized manner.
c. Identifies completeness and functioning of equipment instrumentation and supplies.
2. Shows awareness of patient’s needs: Physiological, Psychosocial, Safety, Emotional.
3. Provides input as to patient’s condition on admission to:
a. Assesses appropriateness of selected equipment, instrumentation and supplies.
b. Notifies RN of critical findings or changes following admission.
4. Supports cultural practices which do not harm others or interfere with plan of care regarding: Disposition of limb/body part, Blood transfusions.
5. Follows surgical hand scrub policy.
6. Follows surgical gowning/gloving policy.
Operating Room Technician 2
7. Prepares surgical instrumentation, equipment, and supplies.
8. Follows surgical sponge, sharp, and instrument counts policy.
9. Drapes or assists with draping using a surgical conscience/principles of asepsis.
10. Passes surgical instrumentation, equipment, and supplies.
11. Follows policy for handling of specimens and cultures.
12. Minimizes talking and noise level in operating room.
13. Assists, as delegated, with providing for the patient’s physical comfort.
14. Assists, as delegated, with patient bed transfers/patient transport.
15. Assists as delegated, with direct patient care needs.
16. Practices life-saving support measures as needed.
17. Practices aseptic technique during setup of surgical procedure.
18. Maintains aseptic technique during intraoperative phase.
19. Recognizes and reports breaks in aseptic technique in self and others.
What You Need to Be Successful:
Preferred: Current Maryland certification in good standing as a OR Tech.
Life Support Certification: (Check all that apply)
Basic Life Support – Health Care Provider (BLS-HCP) Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP)
Education/Knowledge (see attached explanation sheet)
Attained Level: Entry level
Completed Course Work/Program:
Experience (years): Required: Less than one year Preferred: 1 – 3 years
Experience (describe required & preferred): At least six (6) months as a OR Tech and/or training or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
- Follow us on