Nursing Supervisor - Surgical Center
Why Mount Nittany Health?
At Mount Nittany Health, we provide high-quality patient care with a unique combination of the latest in clinical technology and compassionate medical professionals. We are committed to improving both the quality and availability of healthcare in our region and seek to hire only the best to support the communities we serve.
The Nursing Supervisor assumes responsibility to manage the shift to shift operations of the unit/department to provide high quality and safe patient care in a safe practice environment. The Supervisor aids to develop staff; collaborates with multidisciplinary professionals; and provides service excellence. This individual remains clinically competent in the area of practice and is able to take a direct patient care assignment as needed.
The Nursing Supervisor assists the Manager with but not limited to:
• Workforce planning;
• Establishing and implementing standards for practice and maintain authority, accountability and responsibility for staff in their area of responsibility;
• The ongoing support and cultivation of a culture of shared decision making;
• Budgeting and planning.
Supervises the operations and staff: Surgical Center
The MNH Leadership Values we are striving to emulate:
• Respect, appreciation and caring for all-positive outlook
• Initiative, achievement oriented, drive for excellence and continuous improvement; perseverance and ability to see the big picture
• Teamwork and support for others; interdependence and commitment to the collective; system success as opposed to individual achievement or credit
• Open, respectful, candid communication; handles conflicts and differing points of view directly; doesn’t shy away from difficult issues or conversations
• Stewardship of resources and passion for efficiency
• Ownership of actions and results focused
• Resilient; adaptable to change; perseveres in the midst of challenges
1) Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing or related field preferred. May have an equivalent combination of education and/or experience in lieu of specific education.
1) 3+ years of perioperative experience preferred.
2) Supervisory experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
1) Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills.
2) Ability to work effectively under stressful situations.
3) Demonstrated oral and written communication skills.
4) Ability to function in an independent manner with little or no need for direct supervision.
5) Effectively communicates verbally with patients, physicians, visitors, co-workers and supervisors.
6) Ability to document data and other information.
7) Ability to read and interpret written communication.
8) Ability to speak, read, and write the English language.
9) Conducts business in a professional and cordial manner that upholds the integrity and reputation of Mount Nittany Medical Center.
10) Knowledge of human resource laws and regulations as they relate to the management of staff.
1) Current PA Registered Nurse licensure.
2) Meets the American Heart Association’s standards for Healthcare Provider Basic Life Support (BLS) and renews BLS every two years.
3) After four months from the hire/transfer date, meets the American Heart Association’s standards for Healthcare Provider Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) and renews ACLS every two years.
4) After six months from the hire/transfer date, meets the American Heart Association’s standards for Healthcare Provider Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) and renews PALS every two years.
5) Within three months from the hire/transfer date, completes the Crisis Prevention Institute’s (CPI) Nonviolent Crisis Intervention training and renews annually.
6) Must be able to meet mandated clinical unit requirement (such as but not limited to: critical care course; chemotherapy etc.) within designated time frame assigned by the manager and director.
7) Appropriate professional certification preferred or required within 1 year of eligibility for professional certification exam.
Receives minimal supervision from the manager of the unit. Performs all duties in an independent manner.
Supervises the activities of assigned employees.