Nursing Assistant (CNA) – Surgical ICU
Job ID: 73118
Area of Interest: Nursing Support
Location: Baltimore,MD US
Hours of Work: 7a – 7p or 7p – 7a
Job Facility: University of Maryland Medical Center
Employment Type: Full Time
What You Will Do:
Under the direct supervision of a registered nurse, perform delegated patient care functions of an uncomplicated nature. Use the nursing care plan in providing care. Fulfillment of the job duties requires the employee to have access to medication storage areas and to transport medications to/ from medication storage and delivery areas.
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
- Establishes and maintains courteous and effective relationships with patients, visitors, co-workers, and other members of the health care team; demonstrates sensitivity and awareness to the needs of patients, visitors and co-workers and responds promptly to verbal and/or written instructions.
- Takes, records, and reports patient’s vital signs which include blood pressure, temperature, respiration, and/or pulse on a scheduled basis; weighs patient and records data; observes patient condition for signs/symptoms consistent with illness; reports observations about patient condition to nurse.
- Bathes, dresses, and assists patients in their daily, personal hygiene care; responds to patient call-lights, as needed; changes bed linens, and keeps patients’ room supplies replenished.
- Performs duties associated with basic patient care, such as picking-up blood, delivering specimen to laboratory, performing minor housekeeping and escorting patients when assigned by nursing staff.
- Initiates C.P.R. procedure as needed for patient care and safety.
- Applies aseptic technique when carrying out patient care procedures or following unit protocols that require sterile conditions.
- Performs treatments such as applying external urinary catheters, giving enemas, testing urine for presence of Glucose and Acetone, testing stool for occult blood, finger sticks etc.
- Attends all mandatory hospital in-services including CPR training.
What You Need to Be Successful:
- High School diploma or equivalent (GED).
- Nursing Assistant Certification required.
- Current CPR certification required.
- Successful completion of a Nursing Assistant program or equivalent work experience as a nursing assistant.
- Six months of prior direct, patient care work experience in a health care facility is preferred.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
- Follow us on