Nurse Navigator, Breast Center for Excellence, Full-Time
Category: Nursing (RN/NP/CNM)
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posted Date: December 30, 2020
The primary commitment of the Nurse Navigator is the patient and their family. The role of the Nurse Navigator is that of consultant, educator and direct care giver in the implementation and coordination of the multi-disciplinary care, education and rehabilitation of the cancer patient. The Nurse Navigator is to manage chronic, complex, high risk patients, build long term lasting relationships for ongoing coordinated care and improving overall wellness of the population. This is done through advocacy, care, education and coordination for cancer patients and their caregivers throughout the cancer care continuum.
The Nurse Navigator utilizes a multidisciplinary approach to provide seamless cross-continuum care integrating a wide range of providers. This is done by planning and providing care, as a liaison between oncology services and other ancillary services (surgery, genetics, medical oncology, radiation oncology, social work, research, nutrition services, rehabilitation services and survivorship) to ensure that the specific needs and concerns of the cancer patient are addressed. The Nurse Navigator is expected to identify gaps in clinical care including vulnerable populations and participates in the hospital and community outreach educational programs. The Nurse Navigator is responsible for identifying, monitoring and reporting patient outcomes through the cancer quality infrastructure.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Utilizes the nursing process (assessment, planning/nursing diagnosis/intervention and evaluation) in the coordination and management of patient care issues. Applies sound nursing judgment, critical thinking skills and evidence-based guidelines to patient/family problems/concerns and in the problem solving process.
- Educates patients and their support system of the importance of self- advocacy. Educates patients regarding their responsibilities concerning their healthcare. Educates patients and their support system in the navigation of the healthcare system. Ensures patients and families have appropriate information for healthcare contacts including but not limited to triage nurses, their insurance supplier and financial services at AAMC.
- Anticipates, identifies and helps patients to overcome barriers within the healthcare system to ensure prompt diagnostics and treatment plan of an abnormal finding consistent with cancer.
- Stays connected with patients and care teams to create a seamless journey through treatment and to follow up on questions and concerns. Clarifies plan of care, explains test results to patients and updates clinicians on the status of the patient’s care. Makes referrals to appropriate community resources.
- Identifies health/cancer educational needs of patient and caregivers. Develops, implements and evaluates teaching program to meet the identified needs. Effectively uses and adapts a variety of teaching resources in meeting the specific needs of each individual patient and caregiver (s). Communicates educational outcomes to appropriate leadership. Presents formal education programs and provides individual guidance to staff.
- Provides for emotional and psychological support of patients and caregivers during the crisis of cancer diagnosis. Refers to appropriate resources both internal and external. Models patient and family advocacy.
- Establishes a collaborative relationship with multidisciplinary team, providers and departments.
- Assists in the development of comprehensive service goals, objectives, policies and procedures. Participates in the development of health educational programs and presents health educational programs and materials both in and out of the hospital setting. Targets vulnerable population’s/ health disparities and participates in activities for improving outcomes.
- Enhances growth and development and enriches personal knowledge and skill through participation in educational programs and professional affiliations and through participation in multidisciplinary quality and service improvement teams.
- Maintain a working knowledge of open clinical trials and refers patients to the clinical trial department when appropriate.
Required Minimum Education. The minimum level of education for this position includes:
- Minimum three years oncology or related nursing experience.
- Valid Maryland Registered Nursing license.
- Baccalaureate Degree in nursing is required. If Baccalaureate is in another related field, the individual must demonstrate experience in oncology and/or oncology clinical coordination.
- Adherence to credentialing requirements of AAMC as stated in the nursing bylaws.
- Compliance with Maryland Board of Nursing, Nurse Practice Act, and applicable standards and policies of related regulatory agencies.
- Oncology Nursing Certification (ONS) or Clinical Breast Care Navigator (CBCN) certification required within the first year of employment and maintained per the organization policy.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Effective interpersonal skills including excellent verbal and written communication.
- Computer literate with experience in database, excel and analytics preferred
- Strong assessment skills of patient needs and concerns. Able to independently perform duties with guidance from multiple disciplines.
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and / or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and / or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of arm and / or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for sedentary work and the worker sits most of the time, the job is considered rated for light work.
There is reasonable expectation that employees in this position will be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
First step is to join our talent community for the latest news.
Create your talent profile to receive customized job alerts and the latest company information.
Current employees should click on the button to search jobs, login and manage job agents, check application status, and more.
Important Information about CPR (BLS) requirements for Anne Arundel Medical Center. (Note: this downloads a word document)