Why This Role is Important to Us
The Medical Technologist (MT/CLS)/Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) performs routine and complex analytical tests on human body fluids and tissues to provide accurate data to the health care team for optimal diagnosis, treatment and monitoring of disease states. The MT/MLT is capable of performing all of the tests in a single section or most of the tests in all clinical laboratory sections: bacteriology, immunohematology, chemistry, hematology, parasitology, serology and urinalysis. Performs required duties at a high level, with minimal orientation. May be required to “float” outside of primary assignment location to another clinical assignment for which s/he is qualified to work. Remains flexible regarding work schedule to meet client staffing requirements. J
What You’ll Be Doing
- Performs routine laboratory test procedures as outlined in the laboratory standard operating procedure manuals and reports test results. Adheres to quality assurance and quality control procedures in performing all testing.
- Correlates clinical information and/or previous lab results and reports discrepancies to supervisors and other appropriate personnel. Consults with technical leads/supervisors or pathologist when no preset criteria for decisionâ€making is available before taking action
- Collects and/or directs the collection of specimens with rigid attention to proper patient identification, priority status and hospital and laboratory safety and infection control policies for clinical testing
- Maintains and operates lab equipment; able to detect malfunctions as they occur by review of instruments results. Troubleshoots the problem with technologist or service representative assistance.
- Participates in developmental work on new tests
- Participates in established TQM activities, QC testing of lab reagents and maintenance of equipment. Follows protocol for running and documenting control values. Collects, evaluates, and reports quality management data in order to monitor and improve laboratory performance.
- Works closely with all laboratory personnel to ensure timely client service and accurate test results.
- Maintains open communication with supervisors, pathologists, and fellow employees to ensure optimal operation of department. Communicates pertinent information to other members of the health care team in a clinically relevant time frame to enhance the lab’s contribution to patient care.
- Assists with writing and updating laboratory procedures under supervision as required.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Attends and participates in continuing education programs to monitor proficiency, expand current knowledge and enhance professional excellence. Willingly shares knowledge and provides clinical orientation to other members of the staff.
What We’re Looking For
Education and Experience
- Bachelor degree in Medical Technology (MT)/Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS) or Associate degree in Medical Laboratory Technicians (MLT) related science from an accredited program
- Non-traditional routes to establish skill level may be accepted after review of experience and education.
- A Medical Technologist with HEW or ASCP certification and 3 years of experience preferred or certification within 1 year, meets the CLIA definition for General Supervisor, and functions in this role for the following tasks as assigned: review of daily work, review of maintenance logs, review of quality control, annual review of procedure manuals, and initial review of proficiency testing.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Self-motivated learner who can ask questions and seek answers independently
- Ability to take direction and coaching to consistently improve outputs
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing in a thorough, clear manner
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Highly organized with emphasis on maintaining focus to detail
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to coach team members
- Ability to partner with other areas of the business to achieve shared goals
- Ability to engage patients and team members utilizing the CMH Experience Service Standards
- Serve as the champion of the patient and team member experience by providing an A+ experience to every patient and team member, every day
Central Maine Healthcare is an integrated healthcare delivery system serving 400,000 people living in central, western, and mid-coast Maine. CMHC's hospital facilities include Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston, Bridgton Hospital, and Rumford Hospital. CMHC also supports Central Maine Medical Group, a primary and specialty care practice organization with a presence in 17 Maine communities. Other system services include the Central Maine Heart and Vascular Institute, a regional trauma program, LifeFlight of Maine's southern Maine base, the Central Maine Comprehensive Cancer Center, Long-Term Care facilities in Auburn and Rumford, Topsham Care Center, and other high quality clinical services.