State City Organization
Let us find jobs for you based on your LinkedIn profile.
Medical Assistant/Practice Assistant - Lead
Req ID: 42960BR
Job Summary: Provides patient services including greeting, check-in, scheduling and medical assisting while delivering excellent service and contributing to the smooth flow of practice operations. Reports to the manager with input from assigned physicians, nurses or other health care providers. Acts as a team leader, resource and mentor.
- Communicates with and assists patients, other employees and the general public in a courteous, helpful manner by phone and in person. Provides accurate information, directions and/or guidance and follows up promptly to ensure that needs have been met.
- Takes complete and accurate information from patients/callers, prioritizes information and facilitates communication of information to providers. Prepares schedules and other documents as needed in accordance with quality standards. Maintains patient confidentiality at all times, whether by phone, discussion with providers or distribution of patient information by e-mail, fax, etc.
- Performs check-in, registration, and verification of demographic and fiscal information utilizing a computer system.
Ensures that patient records, documents, lab slips and X-rays are available with appropriate patient identification so the encounter is productive for both the patient and provider.
- Performs a wide variety of activities relevant to the clinical setting which may include assisting providers, performing phlebotomy, EKG's, vital signs, etc. Performs lab tests and implements quality control standards as indicated. Provides patients with relevant instructions for specific tests and procedures.
- Serves as a role model, mentor and resource. Collaborates with practice support team. Provides training and shares knowledge. Oversees the work of others and solicits feedback and ideas to produce quality processes and outcomes. Makes recommendations on how resources can be used more effectively.
- Monitors patients and visitors entering, waiting, and leaving the practice. Facilitates timely flow and proactively solves flow issues (i.e., early or late patient, late provider, etc.) Acts as liaison between patient and practice staff to ensure optimal flow and service delivery.
- Monitors and ensures that patient exam rooms are clean and organized. Cleans rooms after patient usage and ensures appropriate disposal of contaminated materials. Orders supplies and equipment; restocks supplies and
monitors for expiration dates.
- Schedules related diagnostic and lab tests making every reasonable effort to accommodate patient and provider needs. Inputs patient insurance and managed care plans, including prior authorizations, referrals, and pre-certifications. Explains processes as needed to help patients meet their needs and insurance requirements.
- Assembles records according to medical center policy and as standards are defined by the Joint Commission. Handles requests for patient information according to established guidelines.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Medical assisting experience required through any of the following areas: MA, CNA (or LNA), EMT, PCT certificate, Associates Degree in Medical Assisting. Current or former nursing or medical student who has completed at least one clinical rotation. Successful completion of BIDMC in-house competency program in 2019. Successful completion of Basic Clinical Skills course at Northeastern University.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Two or more years experience in a healthcare environment.
- Phlebotomy Certificate preferred.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Age based Competencies:
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus
EOE StatementBIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATION
VaccinesAs a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement
Share this Job
Working at this Location
Check out where you could be working if you apply.
Your Saved Jobs
You have not saved any jobs yet.
Sign up for our Talent Community and receive Job Alerts
BIDMC is proud to be recognized LinkedIn as one of their Top Companies Boston
Primary Care Virtual Hiring Event – RSVP Now
Recognized in 100 Great Hospitals in America
How to Apply