Medical Assistant I / OBGYN / Shore Medical Group @ Easton, MD
Job ID: 91592
Area of Interest: Allied Health
Location: Easton,MD US
Hours of Work: M-F 8a-4:30p
Job Facility: UM Shore Regional Health
Employment Type: Full Time
What You Will Do:
We are looking for talented professionals to join our extraordinary team of individuals at the University of Maryland-Shore Medical Group.
Under supervision, the Medical Assistant I performs a variety of front and back office duties in the clinic. Provides initial preparation of patients prior to the physician’s encounter; assists physician in patient care activities; performs procedures under the supervision of physician; provides health education under the supervision of physician.
THE POSITION IS LOCATED ON THE LOWER EASTERN SHORE IN EASTON, MD
THE FOLLOWING 4 REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET IN ORDER TO QUALIFY FOR THIS POSITION:
1. High School diploma or GED equivalent
2. One (1) year MEDICAL BACK OFFICE experience OR;
3. Successful completion of a FORMAL MEDICAL ASSISTANT Training Program
4. Current BLS certification or must be obtained prior to providing direct patient care
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. These are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Assists physician during physical exams and procedures.
2. Ensures that charts for outside physicians are prepared for that day with appropriate forms and documentation.
3. Assists staff with scheduling appointments, requesting medical information, test results, photocopying, filing and other tasks as assigned.
4. Assists with obtaining authorizations or referrals needed.
5. Maintains patient charts and ensures information is filed/scanned accurately.
6. Functions as a collaborative team member; demonstrated commitment to group goals and teamwork.
7. Takes vitals on all patients to include height, weight, blood pressure and temperature.
8. Completes patient history, medication documentation, and other orders as instructed by the provider.
9. Performs point of care testing, phlebotomy and specimen collection, assists the providers with basic routine tests, injections and procedures (ECGs, Blood Glucose, etc.).
10. Maintains clinical equipment and notifies management of issues or concerns.
11. Operates equipment in a safe and competent manner.
12. Enters other pertinent patient data into EMR as requested by the provider.
13. Accurately documents point of care results to ensure charges are sent by the close of business.
14. Works within scope and with providers to answer patient phone questions and complete refill encounters with appropriate documentation in the chart or EMR.
15. Answers phones, screens calls, and communicates messages accurately and in a timely manner.
16. Restocks and prepares exam rooms for the next day according to par levels. Notifies staff member responsible for ordering supplies when appropriate.
As a University of Shore Medical Group employee, you will enjoy a comprehensive benefits program designed with you and your dependents in mind. Subject to any eligibility waiting period, all of the benefits are available to regular full-time employees and most benefits are available to regular part-time employees who are regularly scheduled to work twenty (20) or more hours per week. Many benefits are provided at no cost to employees. For others, the cost is shared between employer and employees.
What You Need to Be Successful:
1. High School diploma or equivalent required.
2. One year back office experience OR successful completion of a formal medical assistant training program required.
3. Current BLS certification or obtained prior to providing direct patient care is required.
4. Certification as a Medical Assistant preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Previous experience using a business office suite, such as Microsoft Office, is preferred.
2. Knowledge of medical terminology preferred.
3. Travel to other SRH locations may be required.
Ensures patient safety in the performance of job functions and through participation in hospital, department or unit patient safety initiatives.
1. Takes action to correct observed risks to patient safety
2. Reports adverse events and near misses to appropriate management authority.
3. Identifies possible risks in processes, procedures, devices and communicates the same to those in charge.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The best part about living and working on the Eastern Shore of Maryland is definitely just the experience. It's a unique culture that we have here. People from Maryland are so full of pride for where they're from, especially if you're from the Eastern Shore. We love our Old Bay and our blue crabs and our Thrasher's French Fries down at the beach. And, you know, all of the foods that are unique to Maryland. We have tons of recreation, lots of water activities, tons of history and museums to explore. It's just such a unique culture. I've been able to travel all throughout the United States and different countries in the world but there is no place like the Eastern Shore of Maryland.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW