Medical Assistant- Clinical Concierge
Maine Urgent Care
Req #: 28396
The position of Medical Assistant (MA), functions as an integral member of the interdisciplinary healthcare team in providing direct patient care. The MA performs routine administrative and patient care support duties that assist the medical team in the examination and treatment of patients and ensure the clinic/office runs efficiently. The MA provides clerical support under the supervision of the Maine Urgent Care Center Manager, and assists clinically in the delivery of patient care in the medical practice under the supervision of the provider. The MA works with the Practice Leadership in accordance with CMH department policies and procedures and operates within the American Association of Medical Assistants guidelines. The MA communicates with the appropriate person (Provider or Practice Manager) about changes in patient's status and results of diagnostic studies.
Position also involves customer service, message distribution, ancillary scheduling, and referrals management. Responsible for accurate and complete patient accounts based on organization standards, policies and procedures, HIPAA , and compliance with regulatory agencies, to include but not limited to pre-registration and registration functions. The Clinical Concierge Medical Assistant performs all functions under guidance and direction from the Practice Manager.
1. The MA takes medical histories and records vital signs, explains treatment procedures to patients, and prepares patients for examinations and procedures
2. Serve in a Patient care support role which may include assisting the medical and nursing staff during examination and procedures
3. Performs other clinical functions as delegated and supervised by the provider within the scope of CMH guidelines
4. May be requested to be a liaison for clinic activities such as Urgent Care Association Accreditation and/or participate in system committees
1. Serves as the champion of the patient experience
2. Engages patients utilizing exceptional customer service practices in alignment with the Five Must Haves;
i. Greet people with a smile, friendly eye contact and say hello
ii. Take people where they are going, rather than point or give directions
iii. Use key words at key times. "Is there anything else I can do for you?"
iv. Foster an attitude of gratitude
v. Round with reason
3. Prepare for clinic visits by reviewing next day patients and completing next day preparation activities
4. Check-in patient upon arrival in the practice. Identify correct patient information in electronic medical record and verify patient demographic data. Present and educate patients on required forms and obtain signature as required by policy and procedure. Collect and post co-payments and balances on accounts due. Copy, file and distribute insurance cards as indicated by procedure
5. Utilizes centralized scheduling system and software applications to schedule appointments
6. Determine the amount of payment due at time of service to be collected based on insurance plan
7. Check-out patients. Make return appointments by scheduling patients into the correct appointment type, entering the primary care provider or referring provider and scheduling tests and procedures
8. Communicates with team members by using multiple advanced communication tools
9. Answer telephone, take and deliver messages to the care team. Report obtained medical information from patients and referring provider accurately, completely and timely. Disseminate messages according to practice communication standards
10. Uphold CMH policies and procedures including HIPAA
11. Participates in orientation, training programs and attends meetings as required
12. Performs other related duties as assigned or described by the organization's policy
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
1. Graduation from accredited Medical Assistant program required
2. Must have one (1) the following credentials or be eligible to obtain 1 (one) of the following credentials, based upon the credentialing organization's eligibility requirements, within 90 days of hire:
i. Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) – American Association of Medical Assistants
ii. Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) – American Medical Technologists
iii. Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA) – National Healthcare Association
iv. National Certified Medical Assistant (NCMA) – National Center for Competency Testing
v. Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) – The American Registry of Medical Assistants
vi. National Registered Certified Medical Assistant (NRCMA) – National Association for Health Professionals
3. High school diploma or equivalent required
4. Current American Heart Association Healthcare Provider BLS certification required
5. One year of work experience as a Medical Assistant in a clinical setting preferred
6. One year of work experience in direct communication and providing service to patients or to the public, preferably in a healthcare field
7. Demonstrated proficiency with data entry/keyboarding
8. Experience with computer applications and Electronic Medical Record
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Heavy lifting and the ability to transport stretcher and wheelchair patients may be required
2. Working knowledge of sterile techniques and special procedures that are applicable to work performed
3. Working knowledge of procedures and techniques involved in administering routine and special treatments to patients
4. Age specific competencies
5. Daily clinic preparation process; registration, scheduling, charge posting, order entry. Able to document and communicate pertinent information
6. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients and clinic staff
7. Typing skills
8. Medical terminology
9. Excellent organizational and interpersonal communication skills
10. Ability to perform multiple tasks or activities simultaneously, provide quality patient service, prioritize and use critical thinking
11. Effectively communicate with patients in a supportive and tactful manner
12. Identify and apply effective service recovery opportunities
13. Ability to remain calm in a busy or stressful situation
14. Represent the organization in a positive manner, support and encourages strong morale within the team and maintain effective, professional relationships with others
OUR PURPOSE & VALUES:
Our mission is to provide exceptional healthcare services in a safe and trustful environment through expertise, commitment and compassion of our team members, with the vision of safe, reliable, high quality care for each patient, every day.
How do we make this happen? By creating and maintaining a culture where our values of compassion, integrity, citizenship, service excellence and community are lived out in observable behaviors during all interactions.
ABOUT CENTRAL MAINE HEALTHCARE:
Central Maine Healthcare (CMH) is an integrated healthcare delivery system serving 400,000 people living in central, western, and mid-coast Maine. CMH's hospital facilities include Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston, Bridgton Hospital, and Rumford Hospital. CMH also supports Central Maine Medical Group, a primary and specialty care practice organization. Other system services include the Central Maine Heart and Vascular Institute, a regional trauma program, LifeFlight of Maine's southern Maine base, the Central Maine Comprehensive Cancer Center, and other high quality clinical services.
About Central Maine Medical Center
Central Maine Medical Center (CMMC) located in Lewiston, is a Level II Trauma Center serving Androscoggin County and the surrounding region. "CMMC's Centers of Excellence" include the Central Maine Heart and Vascular Institute, the Central Maine Comprehensive Cancer Center, the Neonatal Intermediate Care Unit, and a Trauma Services Program. CMMC is also the southern Maine base for LifeFlight of Maine, the state's only medical helicopter service. Supported by the latest technologies, CMMC's skilled professionals provide outstanding care delivered with compassion, kindness, and understanding. Learn more at: www.cmmc.org.
About Bridgton Hospital
Part of Central Maine Healthcare, Bridgton Hospital serves the town of Bridgton and surrounding areas in Maine as part of an integrated regional healthcare system committed to improved access and a uniform standard of care. Bridgton Hospital was named as one of 17 top rural hospitals in the nation for the third consecutive year in 2018.
About Rumford Hospital
Part of Central Maine Healthcare, Rumford Hospital serves the town of Rumford and surrounding areas in Maine as part of an integrated regional healthcare system committed to improved access and a uniform standard of care. In 2018, Rumford Hospital was named one of 17 top rural hospitals in the nation by the Leapfrog Group; in 2016, it was designated a Pathway to Excellence® organization by the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Learn more at: www.rumfordhospital.org.
Central Maine Healthcare is equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
© 2020 HealthcareSource HR, Inc. All Rights Reserved.