Manager - Taxation
Req ID: 38469BR
Job Summary: This position will report directly to and support the BILH Executive Director, Taxation with development, planning, coordination and execution of the tax function for BILH and its affiliates, including highly visible, time sensitive, tax compliance and other tax matters, issues and projects for BILH and each affiliate within the BILH network. Work with the Executive Director, Taxation to provide support and project management for both short-term and long-term tax reporting obligations of BILH and each of its affiliates. Provide support to the Executive Director, Taxation in a wide variety of tax matters that arise both system-wide and at the parent and affiliate levels throughout the year.
- Supports system-wide preparation, review and filing of tax forms including but not limited to: 990, 990T, 1120, 1065, 5500. Forms 3ABC and/or other property tax filings. Includes the filing of extensions.
- FATCA and CRS disclosures and filings, IRS Certificates of Tax Residency, and other reporting matters.
- Foreign national tax reporting (such as employees and/or trainees for proper tax income and/or FICA tax withholding/exemptions and preparation of Forms 8233 as needed).
- Responsible for non-recurring tax matters including: Unrelated Business Income; Tax Exempt Bonds; Tax reporting related to non-standard compensatory and benefit items; Tax issues, reporting, withholding related to activities outside the US, foreign nationals/research fellows and honoraria recipients; IRC Section 501(r) and Governmental inquiries and audits.
- As a member of the internal tax staff, this individual will play a critical role in maintaining/establishing strong relationships with management and staff throughout BILH.
- Supervise and train both tax department and other network-wide staff involved in tax reporting matters.
- Has the authority to direct and support employees daily work activities. Has authority to undertake or recommend the following employment actions: hiring, termination, corrective action and performance reviews. Direct Reports: None Indirect Reports: None
- Assists in planning, monitoring and/or managing budget in functional area of department.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or Business related field required.
- CPA and/or JD preferred.
- 8-10 years related work experience required and 1-3 years supervisory/management experience required
- Public accounting experience with a focus on non-profit tax (including tax return preparation, consulting and research experience) or internal tax experience in the non-profit sector.
- Detailed knowledge of Form 990 and related reporting issues.
- Extensive knowledge of non-profit and public charity tax law and regulations and a deep understanding of how these technical tax matters and issues impact the operational aspects of tax exempt hospitals and healthcare entities
- Advanced skills with Microsoft applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access and other web-based applications. May produce complex documents, perform analysis and maintain databases.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by precedents, policies and objectives. Regularly makes decisions and recommendations on issues affecting a department or functional area.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are highly varied, complex and often non-recurring, requiring staff input, innovative, creative, and Lean diagnostic techniques to resolve issues.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set goals and priorities for functional area. May make recommendations for department policies, practices and programs. Manager or Director provides broad guidance and overall direction.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate complex information in English effectively in writing to all levels of staff, management and external customers across functional areas.
- Oral Communications: Ability to verbally communicate complex concepts in English and address sensitive situations, resolve conflicts, negotiate, motivate and persuade others.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate broad and comprehensive knowledge of theories, concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex and/or unprecedented situations across multiple functional areas.
- Team Work: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service and staff training to meet customer service standards and expectations for the assigned unit(s). Resolves service issues in the assigned unit(s) in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally