Manager DevOps Engineer
Job ID: 90266
Area of Interest: Information Technology
Location: Linthicum,MD US
Hours of Work: M-F 8a-4p
Job Facility: University of Maryland Medical System
Employment Type: Full Time
What You Will Do:
Manager DevOps Engineer
The Data Integration and Solutions Architecture’s DevOps team’s mission is to create a robust set of tools, technology and processes which abstract full-stack details from application teams so they are able to focus on their core application value, and in doing so inject high availability, minimal downtime maintenance and updates, audit and security for compliance while ensuring rapid portability and reproducibility of the UMMS Enterprise Data and Analytics product landscape wherever needed as portfolio growth requires.
- Lead by example and demonstrate to the DevOps Engineering team how to develop high quality designs and code by doing a significant amount of design and coding yourself.
- Manage the full complement of DevOps-focused work for diverse projects, including ongoing support and maintenance of data stack, databases, data repositories, analytics and software lifecycle.
- Provide technical leadership for research and planning of system architecture (hardware and software budgets), design, and automation in support of UMMS’ Enterprise Data and Analytics portfolio, including in-house-developed software, platforms, data and analytics products.
- Confer and deliberate with personnel from across the org chart, including Information Systems & Technology personnel, DevOps Engineers, Data Integration Developers, Data Engineers, Data Scientists, Business Intelligence Developers and non-technical staff, where needed.
- Conduct one-on-ones with direct reports, monitor system vulnerabilities and performance, coach and train DevOps team through experimentation, support, maintenance and code-writing tasks.
- Mentor DevOps engineers on problem solving techniques as well as skills development; ensure appropriate knowledge transfer at appropriate intervals to develop scale on DevOps
- Own the production, test and development environment systems reliability monitoring, metrics and management processes and tools.
- Must be able to participate in 24/7 on-call rotation as necessary.
What You Need to Be Successful:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Information Systems, Engineering, Physical Sciences, Life Sciences or closely related field or equivalent related professional experience is required. Additional certifications are preferred.
- Seven or more (7+) years of experience in roles involving high reliability computing clusters, designing and developing data repositories, infrastructure to support integrations for internal and external software applications.
- Experience successfully planning, managing and deploying reliable data stacks, i.e., data systems and data quality management system
- 7+ years of professional experience managing complex systems infrastructure and workflow. Have experience managing complex projects with tight deadlines.
- Strong hands-on experience with on premises configuration management, and automation tools required; cloud orchestration preferred.
- 7+ years of experience running PostgreSQL AND Oracle OR Microsoft SQL Server database system in mission critical large-scale production environments.
- 3+ years of experience running distributed database system such as ElasticSearch or Solr in production environments.
- 5+ years of experience in DevOps/Agile/Scrum environments and development, along with 7+ years in high reliability computing cluster environments.
- Experience with open technologies and related Infrastructure as Code (IaC) tools, JIRA, including Docker, Kubernetes, Jenkins, Git, Ansible, and others.
- Possess expert technical understanding of the intersection of development and operations (DevOps), monitoring and management tools, and deployment processes and tools.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Solid understanding of the internals of PostgreSQL/Oracle/SQL Server.
- Solid understanding of databases, data stacks, networking, integration patterns, concepts, and integration platforms.
- Passion for stable and secure systems management practices including performance tuning and monitoring.
- Proven ability to perform proactive capacity planning as well as ability to make recommendations to management about infrastructure decisions.
- Proven ability and desire to learn new technologies and develop solutions using a variety of integration technologies, patterns and approaches.
- Identify and provide technical mentorship to team members to help them develop into technically competent and well-rounded engineers.
- Ability to work effectively with both business and technical stakeholders.
- Strong analytical, written, and verbal communication skills as well as conceptual thinking skills to influence others.
- Ability to engage, produce, and execute on tasks with a sense of urgency and ownership.
- Strong cross-functional collaboration skills, relationship building skills, and ability to achieve results without day-to-day reporting oversight.
- Strong sense of personal responsibility and accountability for delivering high quality work, both personally and at a team level.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW